October 21, 2004

DESTINY:

I got you, Babe (KEN DAVIDOFF, October 21, 2004, Newsday)

Home to so many memorable moments, Yankee Stadium added a shocking page to its scrapbook last night:

The greatest collapse in baseball history.

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 21, 2004 12:37 AM
Comments

As a Mariners' fan, the sight of both the Yankees and A-Rod being humiliated, at the same time, warms my little heart.

Posted by: Timothy at October 21, 2004 12:44 AM

I knew the Sox could take four in a row. The Tiger Sweep.

Posted by: David Cohen at October 21, 2004 1:21 AM

Miracle on 161st Street.

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at October 21, 2004 1:46 AM

Wow. We have seen mighty things.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at October 21, 2004 1:55 AM

Yay Sox :D

I always believed in them, and now they went and done it!

Posted by: Eugene S. (frontrunning is a hallowed Boston tradition) at October 21, 2004 2:41 AM

I suppose this could be taken as proof of God or Satan depending on which team you support.

Posted by: M Ali Choudhury at October 21, 2004 5:13 AM

The good news is that this was the Best! ALCS! Ever!

The bad news is that the Kerry crew is going to push the Sox = Kerry, Yankees = Bush (or Astros = Bush) meme and try to sell it as the metaphor for the election. If that meme catches on, it will become the solemn duty of the Sox, for the good of the nation and of the civilized world, to lose to the team from Texas in four straight.

(Don't flame me, Sox fans; I live near Cleveland. You think the Curse of the Bambino is something? It pales in comparison to The Curse of Rocky Colavito!)

Posted by: Mike Morley at October 21, 2004 6:38 AM

I went to bed during the 7th inning, score 8-1. I was half-certain that the Yankees (being in league with Beelzebub) just might stage an historic comeback even from that large deficit.

Come on, admit it. Most of the rest of you thought that too.

Posted by: Bruce Cleaver at October 21, 2004 6:47 AM

Mike - that is my worry exactly. Apparently after game 6 Schilling was asked if A-Rod's play was bush-league and Schilling said no it was Kerry-league. It appears Schilling is no fan of Kerry. So the GOP should get a quick spot up with Schilling backing Bush and it might help win some of the New England states.

Bruce - agreed. It was 10-3 in the 9th and I wasn't sure until the last out that the Sox would win.

Posted by: AWW at October 21, 2004 7:59 AM

Two comments. 1) Didn't Kerry recently say he'd prefer a Kerry victory to a Sox victory?

2)Buuuuuuckner....Buuuuuuckner....Buuuuuuckner....Buuuuuuckner....Buuuuuuckner....Buuuuuuckner....Buuuuuuckner....Buuuuuuckner....Buuuuuuckner....Buuuuuuckner

Posted by: H.D. Miller at October 21, 2004 8:18 AM

I'm generally not a baseball fan, but as someone born in Boston I just want to say

There'll be no one to stop us this time.

No, wait, it's the Yanks who are the Evil Empire. Hmm, need a better pop culture reference...

Posted by: Tom at October 21, 2004 8:39 AM

On a lighter note, it appears that A-Rod's Kerry-league play induced the Baseball Gods to perform one of the most clearly observable and verifiable instances of divine retribution in recorded history.

O, ye mortals, trifle not with the Baseball Gods! (Cf. TMQ)

Posted by: Mike Morley at October 21, 2004 8:46 AM

I was somewhat less nervous during last night's final at bat than I was during Tuesday's final at bat.

Posted by: David Cohen at October 21, 2004 8:52 AM

As a Sox fan, I am amazed.

The Yankees lost it in the 4th game in Boston when they utterly failed to put us away, with Rivera on the mound and a lead. This should be an object lesson to anyone, when you have a lead finish your opponent off, don't let him get off the ropes. In sports or war it's the same thing.

Posted by: Bart at October 21, 2004 1:18 PM
« BUT WE STILL DO A MEAN POLKA WHEN WE TORCH A FEW TURKS | Main | THESE ARE THE FOLKS JOHN KERRY WANTS TO TRUST OUR SECURITY TO?: »