October 10, 2004

AUGERING INTO FLYOVER COUNTRY:

In Missouri, values motivate voters (Jerry Zremski, 10/10/2004, Buffalo News)

If John F. Kerry were to walk into the American Legion post in this St. Louis suburb, David Navy says he would greet him with a hug.

"I've admired him ever since I first heard his name," said Navy, like Kerry a Vietnam veteran who calls attacks on the Democratic presidential candidate's service record "despicable."

Navy first saw Kerry on television during the Watergate era.

"I thought: I hope this guy runs for president someday," he said.

But that doesn't mean Navy will vote for Kerry next month.

"I'm voting for George W. Bush," said Navy, 58, a teacher from St. Louis. "He is pro-life. And I will not vote for anybody, no matter how much I love 'em, if they don't vote pro-life."

Navy, like many Missouri Republicans, is a former Democrat - and a living example of why this once-quintessential swing state may swing hard for Bush.

Moreover, political scientists say the legions of voters like Navy - who are motivated more by values issues than concerns about the Iraq war and the economy - could make it tough for Kerry to win other heartland states like Iowa and Wisconsin.

"He's just not a guy who's salable in places like that," said Kenneth Warren, a political scientist at St. Louis University.

Sort of inconvenient that "places like that" is the entire middle and South of the country.

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 10, 2004 10:54 PM
Comments

I find interesting all the stories of Democrats who are voting for Bush in this election, but few or none of Republicans voting for Kerry. It makes me think there is going to be a large cross-over vote which is going undetected in the polls.

Posted by: jd watson at October 10, 2004 11:34 PM

Assuming that Bush wins reelection, the Democratic Party will be forced to reevaluate its positions on social issues. As long as they remain anti-life and anti-family they will never win the South and some Midwestern states.

Posted by: Vince at October 11, 2004 12:32 AM

Is that augur as in to prophecy based on the flight of birds or did you mean auger as in to use a drill?

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at October 11, 2004 2:04 AM

I think he means "screwing the pooch" type of augering in with the reference to flyover country.

Posted by: Rick T. at October 11, 2004 9:54 AM

When economic issues are essentially off the table, what is left to yell about except the 'social issues?' The choice of Kerry meant that labor-union members and other working class voters were going to have their economic concerns ignored. The news media, which is anti-labor and pro-NAFTA, doesn't notice this.

Kerry is the choice of the wing of the Democratic party that wishes its lifestyle choices ratified rather than merely tolerated, and has a laughable, internationalist view of world affairs. He is most emphatically no tribune for the American working class.

Posted by: Bart at October 11, 2004 10:16 AM

A simple thank you will do.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at October 11, 2004 1:37 PM
« PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER: | Main | THERE ARE AT LEAST AS MANY REASONS AS THERE ARE IRAQIS, AREN'T THERE?: »