September 7, 2004

WHERE'S ARNOLD WHEN WE NEED HIM?

Bushism of the Day (Jacob Weisberg, Slate, 9/7/04)

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYN's aren't able to practice their love with women all across the country."—Sept. 6, 2004, Poplar Bluff, Mo.
Usually, Bushisms are a cheap shot, because either the President has been prefectly clear but not grammatical or he hasn't been clear, but no one has any doubt what he meant. I have no idea what he was thinking as this statement came out of his mouth. But notice how completely he is innoculated against this sort of stumble. Everyone laughs, and everyone moves on.

Posted by David Cohen at September 7, 2004 12:38 PM
Comments

I went to see Bush speak at the stop after Poplar Bluff, in Lee's Summit, MO (right outside of Kansas City). It was the first time I got to see him in person. I was pretty let down with it though - the event was HORRIBLY planned.

But oh well.

Posted by: at September 7, 2004 1:15 PM

The above was posted by me, whoops.

Posted by: Hunter at September 7, 2004 1:16 PM

Details?

Posted by: Andrew X at September 7, 2004 1:35 PM

Looks like this is from a Labor Day speech, so my suspicion is he probably had previously referred to the fact that in the ideal, people love their work? The full transcript is probably available online somewhere...

Posted by: brian at September 7, 2004 2:10 PM

The transcript is here. I like Brian's suggestion, but there's nothing in the transcript that helps figure out what he meant to say.

Posted by: David Cohen at September 7, 2004 2:20 PM

Hunter

Alot of the problems have to do with securtiy. There is very little advance notice for any visits.

Posted by: h-man at September 7, 2004 3:01 PM

"practice their love" to me sounds like he meant to practice the profession they love. Although when seeing it in print...

Posted by: Bartman at September 7, 2004 3:27 PM

This one was, indeed, pretty funny. To his credit, Bush makes fun of his own frailties, probably because he knows they aren't very important.

Slate's daily focus devoted to one man's quirks of speech accomplishes nothing, except to draw a very bright line between those who are serious and those who aren't. In today's world, nothing could be LESS interesting to me than whether a man stumbles over an occasional word, or says "nuke-u-ler" instead of "nuke-lee-er". In Iranian it probably sounds even funnier. Hahaha .... (*gulp*)

Posted by: Jeff Brokaw at September 7, 2004 3:41 PM

Requested details about Bush's stop in Lee's Summit, MO today:

The event was held at one of the high schools in Lee's Summit. This really wasn't a good setting because only a third of the crowd could see the President. There are several other high school stadiums in the Eastern Kansas City area that would've worked quite a bit better.

Other than Senator Kit Bond, the people that spoke before the president (local politicians) were pretty awful. But such is life. A friend of my family had given us VIP tickets to the event, which ended up being good for nothing. Still, I would have had a decent view had the school not set up bleachers for young high school students right in front of a huge chunk of the crowd. Most of these kids were obnoxious and laughed at the adults (including several elderly veterans) behind them who complained about no longer being able to see.

For one, I don't think schools should be sending their students to campaign events. Yes, this was an opportunity to see the POTUS, but it was strictly a campaign visit. Oh well... Also, few if any of these kids could even vote. Why give them the best seats and prevent actual supporters (and voters) from even being able to see the president - from a hundred yards away, no less.

The speaker set-up was also horrible. The speakers were turned inward, facing the center of the event were Bush was speaking. If you were behind the speakers (and much of the crowd was), you had to strain to hear what was going on. The speakers were more than loud enough, however, when they were blasting poorly produced country music. I saw a lot of disgruntled supporters leaving because the music was hurting their ears (again, including veterans).

The worst part was the bus system. Everyone parked at a field a mile or two away from the school, then was taken to the stadium on buses. After the event was over, the crowd had to squeeze through a ridiculously small exit at one side of the stadium - two people, at the most, could go through at a time. In the parking lot, there was no real method to how the buses picked everyone up. To be honest, I think someone just decided that the 20 or so buses would show up in the parking lot at random intervals, somehow manage to drive through the unorganized crowd without hitting anyone, and then pick up whoever was closest. There was nothing resembling a line. Because of this, even though my family was among the first ones out, we had to wait for over two hours to get on a bus while standing in a crowd in the hot sun.

But hey, I got to see our President :)

Posted by: Hunter at September 7, 2004 7:28 PM