September 24, 2004

OUR BASTARD:

Allawi Threatened to Behead Al Sadr (NewsMax, 9/24/04)

In a clear sign that Iraq's interim government is ready to fight fire with fire, Prime Minister Iyad Allawi reportedly threatened to have rebel cleric Moqtada al Sadr beheaded earlier this year unless violence perpetrated by his Mahdi terrorist army in Najaf subsided.

On Friday NBC's Pentagon correspondent Jim Miklashevski recounted a meeting between Allawi and Grand Ayatollah al Husseini al Sistani in August, after al Sistani was brought back from London where he was being treated for a heart ailment.

Miklashevski told radio host Don Imus:

"I am told that Allawi sat down with Sistani and said, 'Look, you have 48 hours to resolve this peacefully - or I am going to have Moqtada al Sadr's head in a turban on a plate.'"

"And, guess what," the NBC Newser added. "It was resolved."

They aren't making martyrs like they used to.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 24, 2004 10:21 AM
Comments

But al Sadr has always belonged to the school of "let's you and him fight" insurgency.

Posted by: Francis W. Porretto at September 24, 2004 11:55 AM

Imagine the horror if Allawi held up Zarqawi's other leg at a press conference.

But the terrorism would stop.

Posted by: jim hamlen at September 24, 2004 12:02 PM

(And as the old joke goes)...with a side order of potatoes.

Posted by: at September 24, 2004 2:02 PM

I had been looking for an opportunity to say that the events of the past week put the lie to the comments of a few weeks ago that beheadings were a tactical and/or strategic mistake, because they would revulse decent Muslims.

I was skeptical at the time and it looks like I was right.

Posted by: Harry Eagar at September 24, 2004 2:50 PM

Harry:

Why?

Posted by: oj at September 24, 2004 3:03 PM

Why OJ? Because I have not heard not one...ONE, Muslim of any authority speak out against this stuff with any force. Until I do I will stick to what I have always believed that deep down, they (Muslims) like it when they see an "infidel" who is headless. Harry was right.
Even though I agree with 99% of what you say OJ, I do get a kick out of you thinking that Islam is reforming itself. No person, place, or religion reforms itself. Reform is always done under the guise of reform....or else. There has been too little "or else". It's like trying to fix an engine that needs to be re-built by just putting in new oil or replacing spark plugs. If you keep insisting that only the oil or spark plugs are the problem then the engine will always be bad. Until the Islamic world is told that Islam IS the problem, the engine will always be bad. That's why calling all this the "war on terror" was the first and one of the biggest mistakes.

Posted by: BJW at September 24, 2004 3:22 PM

BJW:

The denunciations are legion. Including one in our own Congress yesterday.

Half the world's Muslims live in perfectly decent democratic societies and many of the rest in nations that are rapidly liberalizing--Morocco, Tunisia, Afghanistan, Iraq, the Gulf States, for a few. They're achieving the transition from totalitarianism to liberalism with a minimal loss of life. Europe should have done half so well.

Posted by: oj at September 24, 2004 3:49 PM

Let's assume oj is right. Then the media is not only incompetent, but doing a colossal disservice to the world's Muslims in their reporting, which invariably tends towards the "Look, America, the world hates you" viewpoint. For cripe's sake, there's a story on espn.com, of all places, today filled with quotes from "Muslim leaders" about how bigoted most Americans are and how hard it is to be Muslim after 9-11. First, they are under the mistaken impression that most of us care if people dislike us for actions that we feel are perfectly justifiable (to say nothing of made up crap about how oppressive life in America is). Second, by hammering home that viewpoint, when the next mega-attack comes, and come it surely will, the public will care about neither how big nor where we retaliate.

As I've said ever since 9-11, those screaming about the Patriot Act, modern day "Crusades" or whatever, need to spend all their energy in crushing Islamofascist terror, since the next attack will make their whining look truly pathetic, and make themselves look like facilitators in the eyes of most Americans.

Posted by: brian at September 24, 2004 6:02 PM

brian:

Here's the leader of a Muslim nation:

"I have seen some of the images that are being shown here on television. They are disturbing. They focus on the tragedies, such as the brutal and barbaric murder of two American hostages this week.

My thoughts and prayers go out to their families and to all those who lost loved ones.

Yet, as we mourn these losses, we must not forget either the progress we are making or what is at stake in Iraq.

We are fighting for freedom and democracy, ours and yours. Every day, we strengthen the institutions that will protect our new democracy, and every day, we grow in strength and determination to defeat the terrorists and their barbarism."

Posted by: oj at September 24, 2004 7:09 PM

oj: Thanks for backing up my point. The media sure didn't feature any of those comments.

Posted by: brian at September 24, 2004 7:29 PM

There were candlelight vigils and memorials in a few US locales yesterday to remember Jack Hensley, including one outside Pittsburgh, sponsored by a Muslim group.

However, this was broadcast on SRN (Christian radio news network). I doubt if it was on NPR.

Posted by: jim hamlen at September 24, 2004 10:03 PM

$25M price on Zarkawi's head and nobody's turned him in.

I rest my case

Posted by: Harry Eagar at September 25, 2004 3:00 PM

No one's turned in DB Cooper either.

Posted by: oj at September 25, 2004 4:53 PM

I'd turn him in for $25 mil

Posted by: Harry Eagar at September 25, 2004 10:29 PM

Don't kid yourself, if you were close enough you knew where he was you'd be too scared to.

Posted by: oj at September 26, 2004 12:16 AM
« WE COMPLAIN, SO IT MUST BE TRUE (via Michael Herdegen): | Main | LOOKIN' FOR LOVE IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES: »