September 1, 2004

KEYES 15, OBAMA 1:

Keyes: Cheney's gay daughter a sinner (The Associated Press, September 1, 2004)

Illinois Republican Senate candidate Alan Keyes labeled homosexuality "selfish hedonism" and said Vice President Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter is a sinner.

The former talk show host who has made two unsuccessful runs for the White House made the comments Monday night in an interview with Sirius OutQ, a satellite radio station that provides programming aimed at gays and lesbians.

After saying homosexuality is "selfish hedonism," Keyes was asked if that made Mary Cheney "a selfish hedonist."

"Of course she is," Keyes replied. "That goes by definition.

Like reparations, homosexuality is an issue where Mr. Keyes is more in tune with black voters than Mr. Obama.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 1, 2004 6:49 PM
Comments

Surely, but will Dick or Lynne Cheney do any appearances for him after this?

Posted by: Joe at September 1, 2004 7:17 PM

Most of the black folks I grew up with were reluctant to call other people sinners in public, tho' not all.

Posted by: Harry Eagar at September 1, 2004 10:07 PM

What about these 'down low' folks you keep writing about?

Posted by: ratbert at September 1, 2004 10:13 PM

What Mary Cheney does in the privacy of her own house is her own business. Her relationship with her parents is also their business. In any event, if Alan Keyes had even a minimal sense of decency, he would keep his big mouth shut.

Maybe he can do a Bojangles routine at the next Constitution Party Bund meeting, excuse me, convention.

Posted by: Bart at September 1, 2004 10:27 PM

Oh my. Not a very Christian sentiment, to say that about Mary by name. What's that deal about hating the sin but loving the sinner?

Posted by: steve chamberlain at September 1, 2004 11:21 PM

He didn't say he didn't love her, did he?

Posted by: oj at September 1, 2004 11:30 PM

rat:

Significantly they deny being gay.

Posted by: oj at September 1, 2004 11:33 PM

Harry:

None of the ones I grew up with were. One of the best things about black communities is that everyone's in everyone else's business.

Posted by: oj at September 1, 2004 11:37 PM

Bart:

It stops being their own vbusiness when they attack our laws and traditions. Then it's everyone's business. Nice racist crack at a homophobe though.

Posted by: oj at September 1, 2004 11:46 PM

In a few short decades, homosexuality has gone from the "love that dare not speak its name" to "the love that won't shut up" to "the love that dare not be criticized".

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at September 1, 2004 11:55 PM

Being called a hedonist is an insult?

Posted by: andy at September 2, 2004 12:13 AM

OJ,

Where is Mary Cheney attacking 'our laws and traditions?' (Paraphrasing Tonto, 'What do your mean 'our', Paleface?')It looks to me like she is trying to live her own life, doing what she feels is good for her, without damaging me. If she munches the occasional carpet, it ain't my business.

There are recognized religious denominations which have endorsed same-sex marriage. As a Jew, who am I to tell the Unitarians what they can and cannot do so long as I am not harmed? And by extension who is the government to tell them? Either you believe in a non-intrusive government or you don't.

What gays do in the privacy of their homes, in places designed to cater to their needs, like gay bars, hotels and resorts, ain't my problem.

This is also a very peripheral issue. What are gays? 1% of the population?

Posted by: Bart at September 2, 2004 8:15 AM

Bartr:

You're your brother's keeper.

Posted by: oj at September 2, 2004 8:22 AM

We should not regulate each other's private behavior. Smoking, drinking booze, gambling, prostitution, usury, drugs should all be legal. Homosexuality and all manner of perversion should be legal other than those involving children and animals, as neither can give an informed consent.

Abortion should be illegal, because another human life is involved.

It is not my responsibility to police my neighbor's sex habits, any more than it is my responsibility to see that he eats a decent breakfast in the morning and gets a glass of warm milk before bedtime.

Posted by: Bart at September 2, 2004 8:50 AM

So you're not Jewish, you're Libertarian?

Posted by: oj at September 2, 2004 9:00 AM

OJ,

There is a difference between the rules which I live by and the rules I believe free people should be compelled to live by. Homosexuality is against Jewish law, and I find it repellent, however, I would never even think of demanding that other people be prohibited from engaging in the practice in private. Tattooing is against Jewish law, and I can think of few things I find more repulsive. Should I insist that tattoo parlors be illegal? I accept the fact that people have different opinions from what I have as to how to live their lives, that they have the absolute and inalienable right to live their lives as they please, as do I.

When we choose to regulate what other people do, that choice must be limited to those which have a direct, substantive impact on the lives of the rest of us, and on the world around us. Otherwise we will live in the nanny state, where we all look in each others' windows like the old DDR, and I think none of us wants that.

Posted by: Bart at September 2, 2004 9:32 AM

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference."

-- Elie Wiesel

Posted by: oj at September 2, 2004 9:59 AM

This hurts him. This hurts him bad.

Posted by: cornetofhorse at September 2, 2004 11:46 AM

Bart:

You would make one lousy tyrant.

OJ:

Inalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

That means they get to pursue their happiness, not yours.

Posted by: Jeff Guinn at September 2, 2004 9:07 PM

What if their happiness is molesting your child?

Posted by: oj at September 2, 2004 9:42 PM

I said 'in public', Orrin.

What you say on the porch is different from what you say in church and what you say in church is different from what you say on the square.

Posted by: Harry Eagar at September 3, 2004 2:43 PM

They're all public though--and they say it in the street for cripes sake.

Posted by: oj at September 3, 2004 2:51 PM

Didn't use to. Not down South.

I've been gone a while. Maybe it's changed.

Posted by: Harry Eagar at September 3, 2004 7:23 PM

They use the white folks facilities now too.

Posted by: oj at September 3, 2004 7:44 PM