September 10, 2004

I'VE READ IT SEVERAL TIMES NOW AND I SWEAR HE'S SERIOUSLY ASKING:

Dual Loyalties (Juan Cole, 9/10/04, Informed Comment)

Many readers have written me to express concern about my safety and/or reputation since I have spoken out frankly on the horrible Likud policies of stealing Palestinian lands and brutalizing them with occupation. I'm not a babe in the woods, and I know very well that saying these things is taboo in American political culture. In fact, whenever anyone comes on a cable television news show and is anything but hostile to the Palestinians, he or she is made by the interviewer to denounce terrorism. It is an outrageous implication, and not the job of a news interviewer. But pro-Israeli speakers are never made to denounce land theft or state terror.

I received a very weird phone call from a prominent Jewish-American investigative journalist the other night. He kept muttering about bias against Sharon and how the Israeli security wall is no different from the wall near the Rio Grande (which isn't true: did the US annex Mexican land to build that?)

Ba-dump-ba.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 10, 2004 12:18 PM
Comments

Yeah, and while we are on this subject, we'd like a word about the so-called "Alaskan" panhandle.

Posted by: Peter B at September 10, 2004 1:07 PM

According to his blog, "Juan Cole is Professor of History at the University of Michigan".

Posted by: Bob at September 10, 2004 1:13 PM

What's that Democratic fellow's name again ? Jackson or something. He didn't sing however, but he was President and he wasn't very friendly to the Mexicans.

Posted by: Peter at September 10, 2004 1:40 PM

"He kept muttering about bias against Sharon and how the Israeli security wall is no different from the wall near the Rio Grande (which isn't true: did the US annex Mexican land to build that?)"

Is he REALLY a professor of history? I'll have to make sure that my kids never attend UM.

Has he never heard of the Mexican American War? The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo? I didn't even research these, this is just the fruit of a (Jr. High) education in Texas.

PS I continued my education in Florida.

Posted by: Jim at September 10, 2004 3:59 PM

BTW Peter, the President at the time of the Mexican American War was James Polk. He of the self-imposed single term limit.

Posted by: Jim Thomason at September 10, 2004 4:03 PM

I thought the fence was a good idea. I heard the quote somewhere that a good fence makes for good neighbors. Especially if one of the neighbors keeps trying to blow you up. And the the world leaders thinks that is just dandy as long as Israel doesn't return the favor.

Posted by: JR at September 10, 2004 4:58 PM

Cole like all good academic historians knows about gender theory queer theory, post-colonialism and marxism. Facts are an illusion that borgeois imperiaist use to distract the proletariat from their anti-imperialist strugle.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at September 10, 2004 9:39 PM

Hell, JR, I threatened to put up a fence when my neighbor refused to clean up after his dog!

Posted by: Robert Duquette at September 12, 2004 1:46 AM
« LESSON--DON'T DRAW A CONTRAST YOU AREN'T WILLING TO MAINTAIN: | Main | SOMETIMES THE ONLY CAUSE WORTH FIGHTING FOR IS A LOST KOS: »