September 21, 2004

EXCEPT THAT THE SENATOR IS SPARTAN, NOT ATHENIAN:

The Red Sox or the republic? You decide (Alex Beam, September 21, 2004, Boston Globe)

Assume there is a Supreme Being. Assume that She is all-powerful and beneficent. But she is not indulgent. She will grant one, and only one, of your two most fervent wishes: Either John Kerry will be inaugurated as the 44th president of the United States.

Or the Boston Red Sox will win the World Series this fall.

What will it be?

I hung around Downtown Crossing yesterday for about an hour running this question by 52 Bostonians. (If only Butch Hobson were still managing the Sox, we could call this a true Hobson's choice.) Many respondents were torn, but ultimately the people spoke. Twenty people felt it was more important for their junior senator to take over the White House. Thirty-two implored the Deity to intervene and send World Series rings to the Olde Towne Team. If there was a common theme, it was skepticism that either event was likely to take place.

Hasten the day, next March, when President Bush greets the World Champion Red Sox at the White House.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 21, 2004 9:15 AM
Comments

OJ, you're as looney as the guy in the post above (Joe Carroll). It will be the Cardinals. Sorry.

Posted by: h-man at September 21, 2004 9:37 AM

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! World Champion Red Sox? That's a good one, OJ!

Posted by: Brandon at September 21, 2004 9:42 AM

Well, at least half of your wish will come true.

Posted by: mike at September 21, 2004 9:47 AM

Well, Bostonians sure have their sense of perspective about them. But the question was really a no-brainer. BoSox, every time.

Posted by: John at September 21, 2004 10:28 AM

If the last 3 games are any indication the Sox won't even make the playoffs. You knew as soon as the Sox in the Worlds Series talk began they would begin to tank. Finally, a true Bostonian would have picked the BoSox as even most MA residents realize what a terrible politician Kerry is.

Posted by: AWW at September 21, 2004 10:52 AM

AWW:

The Red Sox are no better closers than the Senator.

Posted by: Rick T. at September 21, 2004 11:25 AM

I can believe the Red Sox winning the title one o' these days - what I have a problem seeing is that anyone has the election of John Kerry as their "most fervent wish". Were I to list all the things I would want, for myself or the world, I doubt a Kerry presidency would make the top thousand.

Posted by: John Barrett Jr. at September 21, 2004 11:58 AM

The problem with the Sox even getting to the World Series this year is that, in the same way John V. Lindsey lashed himself to the New York Mets' sails in the fall of 1969 to boost his mayoral re-election chances, we would be forced to endure multiple shots and fawning reports of the senator hanging out at Fenway and wherever the National League games are played at least a couple of times as the election winds down in October.

The mitigating cirumstance of that, of course, is we'd get to see Kerry throw a pitch again.

Posted by: John at September 21, 2004 12:05 PM

OJ, in the spirit of conservatism, I suggest you come to recognize that the Deity has ordained the essential futility of the Red Sox, and that there is no good reason for this sacred tradition to change.

For one thing, the rest of us would be deprived of one long, endless amusement: listening to deluded Sox fans go on about "next year."

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 21, 2004 12:56 PM

If Schilling spits the bit tonight and the Angels win, it's 3 1/2 in the wild card...with many lamentations and gnashings of teeth. Could the Sox slip out of the playoffs completely?

Why, yes they could.

Posted by: Casey Abell at September 21, 2004 1:42 PM

I asked my little brother, who lives in Boston and is a Red Sox fan and who supports Kerry, the question and he answered: "That's easy, Red Sox."

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at September 21, 2004 6:09 PM

h-man --

James not Joe, though I rather thought that Lewis might be a better fit.

Posted by: Uncle Bill at September 21, 2004 6:34 PM

As a Manhattanite who supports W. and the Red Sox, I'm used to being in the minority. I admonish those who are stuck in the funk of the Curse of the Bambino. If Ronald Reagan shared this pessimism, we never would have broken the Soviet Union. For the Red Sox, Schilling and Cabrera have been huge acquisitions and this team is hungry. They're giving it a good run. Have you noticed that both Kerry and Nomar are so sullen and uninspiring? I don't think Nomar is nuanced, though.

Posted by: Jim Siegel at September 21, 2004 8:36 PM

Thought you would find this post about the Evil Empire - Yankees or Red Sox interesting. He argues the Red Sox are the Evil Empire. I'm a Mets fan myself.

Posted by: Greg Galagher at October 14, 2004 11:16 AM
« SOVEREIGNTY IS THE LAST REFUGE OF A SCOUNDREL: | Main | PASS HIM A CRAZY PILL: »