September 16, 2004

COMMUNITY STANDARDS:

Louisiana next up in gay marriage debate (ARNOLD HAMILTON, September 15, 2004, The Dallas Morning News)

Ron Bishop hopes to marry someday. He may never get the chance. [...]

"I'd at least like to have the right" to marry, said the 42-year-old restaurant manager and French Quarter resident. "I'd like the choice to be mine and not theirs."

About an hour's drive west, in the tiny Mississippi River town of St. Gabriel, La., the Rev. Alfred Thomas doesn't see it as anyone's choice.

"I believe in the Bible," said the 63-year-old pastor of Mount Bethel Baptist Church. "I don't believe there's any compromising what God says. ... It's a sin."

The debate is spreading across America like a prairie fire, sparked 10 months ago when the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled that same-sex couples have a right to marry in that state.

This fall, about a dozen states – including three in the Southwest: Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma – are expected to vote on referendums designed to chisel the traditional definition of marriage into state constitutions.

Especially significant: In the battleground states of Ohio, Michigan, Oregon and Arkansas, the ballot measures, analysts say, could help spur higher-than-normal turnout among social conservatives and religious evangelicals that not only oppose same-sex marriage, but also would be more likely to back President Bush over Democrat John Kerry.

Mr. Bishop will still have that chance, just not in Red America.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 16, 2004 10:28 AM
Comments

Like Scalia said he (Rod Bishop) has the same rights all other Americans have, hence it can't be a question of equal protection.

Posted by: h-man at September 16, 2004 11:21 AM

My mother-in-law lives in New Orleans. A few days ago, she and some friends went to the French Quarter for the first time in years. There was some sort of gay pride festival going on. She was appalled that there were posters all over showing various gay sex acts (my impression is that these were cartoon drawings of said sex acts). I don't think that the gays are going to have much support for gay marriage from that group of voting little old ladies.

Posted by: Buttercup at September 16, 2004 12:21 PM

h-man:

If gays have the "same" rights as all other Americans, then you wouldn't mind if only homosexual marriages were allowed, would you ?

After all, you'll have exactly the same right as any other male to marry the man of your choice.

Posted by: Michael Herdegen at September 17, 2004 3:10 AM

Michael

Whether I would like it or not, it wouldn't violate the equal protection clause. (ok, granted I'm not a lawyer, but makes sense to me)

Posted by: h-man at September 17, 2004 6:12 AM

There is no right to marry.

Posted by: oj at September 17, 2004 9:06 AM