September 30, 2004

BASE?:

Kerry losing ground as talk turns to Iraq: Shift in focus from economy distances some Mich. voters (Chris Christoff, Detroit Free Press, 9/30/04)

With President George W. Bush gaining ground with women, Michigan and its 17 electoral votes are now up for grabs, a Free Press poll shows.

The slippage in Sen. John Kerry's advantage with that group occurred as his campaign changed its focus from the economy to criticism of the Iraq war in the last 10 days. . . .

The Free Press poll of 830 Michigan voters shows the race in a statistical tie, similar to two other polls released this week. Kerry leads, 48 percent to 46 percent, among registered voters; Bush leads, 50 percent to 48 percent, among likely voters with the election just five weeks away. [Emphasis added] . . .

While the new poll shows the economy is still the No. 1 issue for Michigan voters, it's the war in Iraq that divides them most, though more now support it. . . .

Allen Cichanski of Ann Arbor spoke of the presidential race with the zeal of the recently converted.

"I've never voted for anyone other than a Democrat since JFK, but I'm going to vote for my first Republican president," said Cichanski, 65, a retired geology professor who said he did some soul-searching to switch party allegiance. "I think the Democrats couldn't have picked a more horrible candidate than John Kerry. I think he's a fraud, particularly with the whole business of terrorists and Iraq.

"He scares the hell out of me. I don't think he wants to win." . . .

The whole point of becoming Dean Lite was to secure the base and avoid a blowout. Of course, that was the whole point of focusing on the economy early. The point of focusing on Vietnam was to show that Kerry was a fighter and to insulate him from criticism on the war. The point of this whole campaign? JFK was born to be president.

Nevertheless, I just know that John Kerry, an intellectual who deigns to be my senator only due to his noble character and concern for those of us less fortunate than himself, is going to mop the floor with the President. George Bush, though undoubtedly a great man who has led us through a perilous time, is an idiot. In this debate, Kerry will put the President away for sure.

Posted by David Cohen at September 30, 2004 5:25 PM
Comments

All your base are belong to us

Will someone kindly explain to me what this means?

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 30, 2004 5:38 PM

Make your time!

Posted by: luciferous at September 30, 2004 5:54 PM

Somebody did a cool parody last year titled "All your Iraq are belong to U.S.". It's here at:

Posted by: Joe at September 30, 2004 6:14 PM

Matt: It refers to a "Engrish" (poorly translated Japanese to English phrase) from the European version of the Sega Zero Wing game. It is from an introduction where one of the villans is apparently saying "All of your (military) base belongs to us (i.e., is under our control)." See All Your Base are Belong to Us. Other memorable phrases are "Somebody set up us the bomb," "You have no chance to survive make your time," and " Move 'Zig' -- For great justice."

Posted by: jd watson at September 30, 2004 6:22 PM

jd:

Thanks for the info -- I should've known something like that came from a game somewhere!

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 30, 2004 7:18 PM

For what it's worth, Zero Wing rocks.

Posted by: Chris at September 30, 2004 7:32 PM

And Pogo said: We have met the enemy and they are us.

--Walt Kelly

Me thinks it fits.

Posted by: Uncle Bill at September 30, 2004 8:03 PM

By the way, when a professor or former professor of any stripe says he's voting for the Republican, you know you can start reading the burial rites for the Democratic candidate.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at September 30, 2004 8:21 PM

Hey now! I'm a professor who voted Republican nearly his entire adult life, and I couldn't do anything to stop Slick Willie in either 1992 or 1996.

Posted by: H.D. Miller at October 1, 2004 12:53 AM

It all depends on your field. If you're talking about the 'liberal arts' or the 'social sciences' you are probably right. However, in areas where real study and dilligence is required like mathematics, engineering, science, medicine, business, finance, etc you would find a much larger presence of support for the GOP. I speak from experience having spent 6 years on the Rutgers Math faculty, in the belly of the beast as it were, until I fled for the private sector.

Libertarians also have a large presence on science faculties.

Posted by: Bart at October 1, 2004 6:34 AM