August 30, 2004

LOOSEN THE TINFOIL, FELLAS:

The Pressure-Cooker Theory (Charles Krauthammer, August 27, 2004, Washington Post)

Upon losing a game at the 1925 Baden-Baden tournament, Aaron Nimzowitsch, the great chess theoretician and a superb player, knocked the pieces off the board, jumped on the table and screamed, "How can I lose to this idiot?"

Nimzowitsch may have lived decades ago in Denmark, but he had the soul of a modern American Democrat. After all, Democrats have been saying much the same -- with similar body language -- ever since the erudite Adlai Stevenson lost to the syntactically challenged Dwight Eisenhower in 1952. They said it again when they lost to that supposed simpleton Ronald Reagan. Twice, would you believe? With George W. Bush, they are at it again, and equally apoplectic.

Actually, this time around, even more apoplectic. The Democrats' current disdain for George Bush reminds me of another chess master, Efim Bogoljubov, who once said, "When I am White, I win because I am White" -- White moves first and therefore has a distinct advantage -- "when I am Black, I win because I am Bogoljubov." John Kerry is a man of similar vanity -- intellectual and moral -- and that spirit thoroughly permeates the Democratic Party.

Democrats feel a mixture of horror and contempt for the huddled masses -- so bovine, so benighted, so besotted with talk radio -- who made a king of an empty-headed movie star (Reagan, long before Arnold) and inexplicably want the Republicans' current nitwit leader to have a second term.

The Democrats have become Bobby Fischer.

Posted by Orrin Judd at August 30, 2004 11:00 PM
Comments

Republicans had a similarly snotty attitude about losing to Bill Clinton in '92. After all, how could their holy, righteous candidate lose to a draft-dodging, womanizing hick from a small southern state?

Posted by: Joel Thomas at August 31, 2004 2:02 AM

But Clinton WAS a sleasebag! (with great oratorical skill).

And most Reps hated "Read my lips, no new taxes" followed by Wimpy Bush, um, er, well, we had to increase them, ya know. Not my fault. "I freed Kuwait (but left Saddam)".

W is NOT a wimp. Kerry is "an intellectual. You're a stupid dumb-ass" (This Land jibjab.com)

The Left likes to believe it is intellectually and morally superior. And anybody who disagrees is just too dumb to see how wrong they are.

Posted by: Tom Grey - Liberty Dad at August 31, 2004 4:11 AM

50-0?

Posted by: M Ali Choudhury at August 31, 2004 6:04 AM

Who knew Krauthammer knew his chess lore so well? Yes, the Dems-are-Fischer conclusion is perfect.

Posted by: Bruce Cleaver at August 31, 2004 6:12 AM

I was talking about Clinton with some buds the other day, and we figured he went into the wrong line of work (probably with a big push from Hillary).

With his "aw shucks" looks, country-boy charisma, and ability to work an audience, Bill Clinton would have made a great leading man in the movies. He really should have been an actor instead of a politician.

(Even his compulsive womanizing and starstruck grasping for celebrity would have fit the Hollywood scene better than the Beltway.)

Posted by: Ken at August 31, 2004 1:12 PM

>Democrats feel a mixture of horror and contempt
>for the huddled masses -- so bovine, so
>benighted, so besotted with talk radio...

So Common Rabble, so fit only to be serfs beneath Their Betters...

(You ever noticed how all those "Kerry for Prez" and "Bush is Hitler" bumper stickers seem to be on high-priced yuppiemobiles?)

Posted by: Ken at August 31, 2004 1:14 PM

... and Subaru station-wagons.

Posted by: jefferson park at August 31, 2004 1:26 PM