August 16, 2004

LESS TALK, MORE WRITE:

JK's tantalising hints to Harry Potter's final fate (DAVID ROBINSON, 8/16/04, The Scotsman)

She walks on to the platform of the Main Tent, wearing a silver-black batwinged-sleeve blouse, bootleg trousers and ankle-boots. She reads a passage from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with assured confidence, capturing both Harry’s resignation on finding he hasn’t been made a Hogwarts prefect to Hermione’s screech of annoyance on finding that Ron Weasley has instead.

Then it is on to the questions ... and that is really why the 550-strong audience - in which adults outnumber children by at least two to one - has turned up. What’s she going to call book seven? Will there be a prequel? Will Hermione fall in love with Ron?

She is not giving too much away. No, she cannot possibly give away the final book’s title ("My agent would have me hunted down and killed").

Certainly there will not be a Star Wars type prequel ("that would be shameless exploitation"). And as for Ron and Hermione "just read between the lines".

For all that, she does give a couple of clues about the ending. "There are two questions I have never been asked - and I should have been." The first is why, when the killing curse Voldemort put on Harry rebounded, was Voldemort himself not killed?

For the second, she asks her audience to wonder why Dumbledore did not kill Voldemort at their confrontation in the Ministry of Magic.

So Harry is Voldemort?

Posted by Orrin Judd at August 16, 2004 9:51 AM
Comments

Actually, Voldemort is part-Harry.

Posted by: AML at August 16, 2004 10:30 AM

End of book 7:
Voldemort: Harry, I am your father! Join me on the dark side and we will rule together!
Harry: NOOOOOOO (as he falls down a magic hole after V has cut off his hand with the wand)

Posted by: AWW at August 16, 2004 10:34 AM

Why didn't Dumbledore kill V at the end of the last book? hmmm. He's getting 10% of the licensing rights and didn't want to cut off his revenue stream by ending the series?

Posted by: BC Monkey at August 16, 2004 10:55 AM

In my first week at college, the professor asked me how we knew that Thrasymacus' definition of justice ("Justice is nothing but the advantage of the stronger") is wrong.

I answered, "Because there is a lot of book to go."

Posted by: David Cohen at August 16, 2004 11:40 AM

Harry and Voldemort have to die together - it's a Christ dying to kill Satan story.

Or, it's David's explanation.

Posted by: pj at August 16, 2004 1:20 PM

Maybe Harry confront's Voldemort, pussies out and runs away and Hogwarts has to engage an expensive PR firm to whitewash it. Later Voldemort dies of sypilis and Harry claims credit.

Anyhow, it all works out in the end I bet.

Posted by: Amos at August 17, 2004 2:46 AM