April 17, 2004

LIKE LBJ LOSING CRONKITE?:

A Republican's Case Against George W. Bush (Paul Findley, April17 , 2004, Former Congressman Assess U.S. Foreign Policy)

DURING MY LONG life, America has surmounted many severe challenges. As a teenager, I experienced the Great Depression. In World War II, I saw war close-up as a Navy Seabee. As a country newspaper editor, I watched the Korean War from afar. As a Member of Congress, I agonized through the Vietnam War from start to finish. During these challenges I never for a moment worried about America's ultimate survival with its great principles and ideals still intact.

Today, for the first time, I worry deeply about America's future. We are in a deep hole. I believe President George W. Bush's decision to initiate war on Iraq will be the greatest and most costly blunder in American history. He has set America on the wrong course.

Follow the link to see whose readership will be getting this stunning message.

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 17, 2004 4:44 PM
Comments

Findley should be ashamed of himself.

Posted by: Bartman at April 17, 2004 6:02 PM

Mr Findley would seem to have a new constituency, but he is still willing to vote for the incumbent if Bush will "liberate America from endless wars and chart a constructive, peaceful new future for our nation" between today and the election. He has become Osama's mouthpiece.

Posted by: ed at April 17, 2004 6:11 PM

Uh Oh.

This could be trouble. Maybe the administration really is off course if it's getting this kind of reaction from a Republican as notable as Pat..... um ..... Pete ...... hold it ...... PAUL! Yeah, like Paul Finneg.... Fineman?.... Oh, FINDLEY! Yeah, um, Paul... uh ... Findley.

Big trouble.

Posted by: Andrew X at April 17, 2004 6:52 PM

This article is the political equivalent of appearing on one of those game shows that features Hollywood hasbeens from decades past.

This article let's me know we are dealing with someone who's 20 years former and a longtime anti-semite. He's Republican in the same way David Duke is.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at April 17, 2004 7:36 PM

Nice link, Raoul.

I have been a somewhat passive observer of the blogosphere's self-congratulations for its superiority over legacy media, but I'll give it one thing -- the combination of archival search engines and an army of unpaid people to use them is something us legacy mediaists will never catch up with.

Posted by: Harry Eagar at April 17, 2004 10:20 PM

Raoul, you picked what I found. What is more depressing is that I still know people, some "respectable lawyers" who are convinced Findley was right. The same crowd goes on about the Liberty incident. After September 11th, I was sent a copy of Findey's book by one of them who told me that "I ought to know the truth." One of the most appalling books I've read.

Sigh.