April 30, 2004

CONSISTENT? (via Tom Morin):

NANCY PELOSI TWISTS CATHOLIC TEACHING (Catholic League, April 29, 2004)

Rep. Nancy Pelosi, the House Minority Leader, took issue today with those Catholics who are calling for sanctions against Catholic public officials who vote in favor of abortion rights. Pelosi, who is a staunch advocate of abortion rights, defended herself as follows: “I believe that my position on choice is one that is consistent with my Catholic upbringing, which said that every person has a free will and has the responsibility to live their own lives in a way that they would have to account for in the end.”

Pelosi, a California Democrat, also criticized those who differ with her position: “I’m certainly concerned when the church comes together and says it’s going to sanction people in public office for speaking their conscience and what they believe.”

If every person has free will and a right to their own life then how can it be okay to kill them?

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 30, 2004 11:54 AM
Comments

Do Catholic Democrats have the right to exercise their consciences and be against abortion, or was she speaking ex cathedra?

Posted by: Peter B at April 30, 2004 12:07 PM

>If every person has free will and a right to
>their own life then how can it be okay to kill
>them?

It all depends on the meaning of "person" (and what the meaning of "is" is...)

Actually, my old D&D DM had a comment on "Pro-Choice Catholics" years ago. It went something like this:

"I don't agree at all with the Catholic Church on birth control & abortion. But then, I've never claimed to be Catholic. If they claim the name, they should at least follow the rules that go along with the name. If they can't, why don't they leave and set up somewhere else?"

And in close to 30 years in various sub-genres of SF fandom, I've seen a similar pattern over and over:

The pathological X haters who go to every X convention they can, hang out on the X boards, Yahoo Groups for X, Usenet alt.fan.X newsgroups, & blogs continously projectile-vomiting their hatred of X. Either they are total drooling fanboys of X who have done a 180 flip from total blind adoration to total blind hatred while keeping their obsession intact or they're letting their enemy define their entire being.

Posted by: Ken at April 30, 2004 12:08 PM

Ken: As a former AD&D DM, I have a simpler saying: You don't like the rules, you don't play the game.

Posted by: Chris at April 30, 2004 1:11 PM

How good to you have to be to qualify to take Communion from a child molester?

Posted by: Harry Eagar at April 30, 2004 7:32 PM

What does the state of your soul have to do with his?

Posted by: oj at April 30, 2004 7:40 PM

Ah, yes, repeat after me, sheeple:

All Catholic Priests are Child Molesters.
All Furry Fans have sex with animals.
All Republicans are Nazis.

Chris:

>As a former AD&D DM, I have a simpler saying:
>You don't like the rules, you don't play the
>game.

Then you get a player who's actually playing "Beat the System", and he insists on playing so he can turn the game into
(a) the OJ Simpson Trial,