September 30, 2018

DONALD VS AMERICA:

Pentagon's immigrant recruit program stymied  (LOLITA C. BALDOR, 9/30/18, AP)

Stricter Trump administration immigration policies have stymied Pentagon plans to restart a program that allowed thousands of people with critical medical or Asian and African language skills to join the military and become American citizens, according to several U.S. officials.

The decade-old program has been on hold since 2016 amid concerns that immigrant recruits were not being screened well enough, and security threats were slipping through the system. Defense officials shored up the vetting process, and planned to relaunch the program earlier this month.

But there was an unexpected barrier when Homeland Security officials said they would not be able to protect new immigrant recruits from being deported when their temporary visas expired after they signed a contract to join the military, the U.S. officials said. They were not authorized to publicly describe internal discussions and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The program is called Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest program, or MAVNI. The plan to restart it was backed by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, who believes that noncitizens can bring key skills, language abilities, and cultural knowledge to the military.

Posted by at September 30, 2018 5:41 PM

  

« A GOOD WEEK FOR REPUBLICAN LIBERTY: | Main | WE'VE ESTABLISHED HE'S LYING, NOW TO DETAILS...: »