August 4, 2008

TOM SEAVER WAS ONLY TRADED TO THE REDS ONCE:

10 things that make blokes cry (BBC, 8/04/08)

Real men don't cry? Tell that to Michael Vaughan, Gazza, Jeremy Paxman or Mike "The Streets" Skinner. What makes the male tear duct well up?

It is never easy to give up a job you love. But after five years as captain of the England Test cricket team, Michael Vaughan has stepped down after a lack of runs on the pitch.

After a list of thank yous, his voice caught as he paid tribute to his family. Flashbulbs popped as he blinked back tears.

Once a solely private activity, what makes men weep in public?

(1) When George gets Clarence's copy of Tom Sawyer:

(2) When Joshua Chamberlain orders the bayonet charge at Little Round Top:

(3) When Ray and his dad have that catch:

(4) When Tony Curtis stands up and says: I'm Spartacus!

(5) When Shane fights Joe Starrett for the right to sacrifice his life:

(6) When Sam makes up his mind:

(7) The funeral service at the end of Master and Commander:

(8) When Phar Lap dies:

(9) When James Garner realizes he and Donald Pleasance are toast, in The Great Escape:

(10) When The Chief realizes McMurphy has died for his sins:

Zemanta Pixie

Posted by Orrin Judd at August 4, 2008 10:11 AM

When the guys decide to turn back in the magnificent seven to save the mexican villagers - so damn noble. And Reagan's catafalque.

Posted by: mike in europe at August 4, 2008 11:10 AM

When someone says the words "Old Yeller".

Posted by: Benny at August 4, 2008 11:17 AM

Benny:

Yes, Garfield's favorite movie.

Posted by: Rick T. at August 4, 2008 12:26 PM

When Morant and Handcock silently reach out to hold hands on their walk to the chairs to be shot.

Breaker Morant (1980)

Posted by: Qiao Yang at August 4, 2008 12:58 PM

Red Buttons hanging from the church steeple, watching his fellow paratroopers get slaughtered, in The Longest Day.

Posted by: PapayaSF at August 4, 2008 1:16 PM

1) When Gayle Sayers says "I love Brian Piccolo..."

2) "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth..."

Posted by: Foos at August 4, 2008 1:18 PM

The weirdest one of all: when the band plays La Marseillaise in Casablanca.

Posted by: Ibid at August 4, 2008 2:07 PM

Shoot straight, ya' bastards!

Posted by: oj at August 4, 2008 2:55 PM

What's significant here is, of course, than men are moved almost exclusively by scenes of love between men or between men and animals.

Posted by: oj at August 4, 2008 2:58 PM

Another: Cinema Paradiso.

Posted by: PapayaSF at August 4, 2008 3:58 PM

I read your description of the scene with James Garner and Donald Pleasance and actually got chills. That one gets to me.

I also always tear up at the end of Meet John Doe, when Barbara Stanwyck convinces Gary Cooper that he doesn't have to die, because Christ has already died. Actually, there and in two other spots during the movie.

Posted by: Kevin Bowman at August 4, 2008 4:15 PM

Capra is always good--we could add scenes from Mr. Smith as well.

Posted by: oj at August 4, 2008 5:07 PM

Ever since I was a teenager and saw "Braveheart" for the first time, I've wondered if I am the only male who broke up when Wallace cried "Freedom!" at the conclusion. Am I?

I got a bit choked up when the passengers stormed the cabin in United 93. Also when they released the juice on John Coffey in The Green Mile. I've heard that some men weep at the end of The Shawshank Redemption, although I don't remember doing so.

Also the end of "We Were Soldiers," when they play "The Mansions of the Lord." Haunting.

Posted by: Matt Murphy at August 4, 2008 6:54 PM

When Christopher Reeve gets catapulted back to 1980 after finding the penny in his pocket?

Posted by: Jorge Curioso at August 4, 2008 7:11 PM

How about when Stewart takes in the sights in
DC--the kid reading the inscription on the Lincoln Memorial and the old black guy (perhaps even an ex-slave) standing there with his hat off? Sheesh. Kills me.

Posted by: jgm at August 4, 2008 7:17 PM

The Wind and the Lion - four great tearjerker moments in the last fifteen minutes:
-- "I'll see you again, Mrs. Pedicaris, when we are both like golden clouds on the wind."
-- ". . . if you don't mind, I'd just like to be alone with my bear."
TR reading Raisuli's letter
-- "Sharif, is there not one thing in your life that is worth losing everything for?"

Field of Dreams -- when Moonlight Graham realizes he can't go back on the field. "Son, if I'd only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes... now that would have been a tragedy."

Don't laugh at this one -- Toy Story -- when Buzz realizes he's really a toy.

Posted by: Mike Morley at August 4, 2008 8:45 PM

Men weep at Shawshank when they realize they biffed the ending and ruined the movie.

Posted by: oj at August 4, 2008 10:06 PM

Watching Donald Sutherland come to grips with himself in "Ordinary People". Watching Judd Hirsch push Timothy Hutton in same.

Watching Forrest sit down after little Forrest gets on the school bus, knowing that he will wait there all day for his son.

Posted by: jim hamlen at August 4, 2008 10:51 PM

From Empire Of The Sun:

Posted by: Pete at August 4, 2008 11:19 PM

The fade-out ending of "Courage Under Fire", when Denzel looks up and sees Meg Ryan lifting off.

Posted by: ratbert at August 5, 2008 10:47 AM

When Gus gets it near the end of Lonesome Dove...

Posted by: Benny at August 5, 2008 11:51 AM

OJ:

How so?

Posted by: Matt Murphy at August 5, 2008 6:28 PM

The gun had to be in the box. He did it.

Posted by: oj at August 5, 2008 8:05 PM