March 20, 2008

TRY AND MAKE ME:

Parents should learn maths with their children (Graeme Paton, 20/03/2008, Daily Telegraph)

Parents should join in children's mathematics lessons to improve their own numeracy skills, a Government-backed report says.

They should learn the same methods as their sons and daughters so they can help them with homework, it claims.

If you didn't learn it when you were a kid, with adults telling you how vital it is, why would you learn it twenty years later when you've never had to use it?

Posted by Orrin Judd at March 20, 2008 7:33 AM
Comments

why would you learn it twenty years later when you've never had to use it?

so they can help their sons and daughters with homework

Posted by: ic at March 20, 2008 1:33 PM

Maybe to avoid making statements like this one from Drudge:

RASMUSSEN POLL:
McCain Now Leads By Double Digits:
McCain 51% Clinton 41%
McCain 49% Obama 42%

Posted by: erp at March 20, 2008 1:52 PM

I use it.

Posted by: Brandon at March 20, 2008 1:55 PM

To futher develop the seven intelligences, just like it's worthwhile to learn the music greats.

Posted by: todderchek at March 20, 2008 2:33 PM

You listen to music.

Posted by: oj at March 20, 2008 3:16 PM

homework is useless.

Posted by: oj at March 20, 2008 3:17 PM

I was helping Boy with his homework the other night and he had some work that just made me say, "What the heck is this for?" It was "words that appear the same upside down and reversed." Yes, if I ever have to send a message to an alternate universe, I should find that quite handy.
Tonight was spelling, of which I approve.

Orrin, children need homework because they're no longer allowed to work in foundries and mills.

Posted by: Bryan at March 20, 2008 6:30 PM

oj,
Useless is surely the appropriate word, at least for elementary school students.
57 years past, third grade, teacher sent home mimeographed sheets of spelling/vocabulary words to be learned for the following week. The only other item carried to and from school was my Roy Rogers lunchbox with the Trigger thermos.
BTW, the entire class could balance a checkbook (still relatively new for our lower middle class families)read books that are today classified as Hi-school age material and, based on lots of polling data, had a better idea of the when and where's of American history than a substantial portion of todays college students do.
I've long wondered why I see 7-8-9 year children trudging to and from school with 9+ pound backpacks?
Bryan, I'm certain you're a lot smarter than your comment makes you appear to be.

Posted by: Mike at March 20, 2008 8:22 PM

Teaching them such skills at home would be useful. Schoolwork has been shown repeatedly to be useless for kids at home.

Posted by: oj at March 20, 2008 8:47 PM