September 27, 2007

SINCE WHEN DO FACTS QUIET HYSTERIA?:

No link between vaccine mercury, neurological woes, study says (Alicia Chang, September 27, 2007, Associated Press)

A mercury-based preservative once used in many vaccines does not raise the risk of neurological problems in children, concludes a large federal study that researchers say should reassure parents about the safety of shots their children received a decade or more ago.

Bet?

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 27, 2007 11:11 AM
Comments

In order to have a healthy immune system, you need exercise it when you are young. Getting vaccinated is one of those ways. And like all exercise, sometimes things go wrong and you pull muscle or destroy your knees or shoulder even if you try not to.

The anti-vaccination types are hypochondriacs, and the irony is that their actions (along with "anti-bacerial" soap and such) are giving them and their children weak and ineffective immune systems, and end up making them sicker and more susceptible than the rest of us slobs who aren't afraid of a little dirt.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at September 27, 2007 12:50 PM

Nobody cares what the CDC says when they can watch sob-stories about vaccinations on Oprah.

Posted by: Brandon at September 27, 2007 1:21 PM

Though the studies and meta-studies on MMR are likely robust, they are sourced from the same types of people who tell us that CO2 going from 288/1,000,000 to 380/1,000,000 is causing the earth to warm dramatically.

So you basically are in the position of trying to remain as informed as possible while knowing that any "government study" (US, UN, IPCC, or CDC) is pretty much 50/50 as to any chance of accuracy.

Just as Rush once posed this scenario on the air...."I have AIDS, but here is my condom. Let's take a roll in the hay."

Pose this yourself...

Here is a vaccine. It's preservative in Mercury, and known destroyer of nerve tissue. Let me inject your child with it.
____

Even if the CDC studies are 100% perfect, no reasonable parent could be blamed for thinking twice. But then, they all set their kids in front of the TV - the likely cause of both Autism and ADHD - so we are screwed either way.

For my part, (and after reading "The Black Swan"), since it is all hit or miss, we are probably better off relying on our own intuition and knowledge than we are the "experts."

Posted by: Bruno at September 27, 2007 2:59 PM

I cannot say for a certainty, but I at least entertain the possibility of a trial-lawyers boondoggle here. There is something in the air, something I have seen before. It a seaching for a deep-pocket solution to a medical problem.

Posted by: Lou Gots at September 27, 2007 3:16 PM

Reasonable parents aren't at issue.

Posted by: oj at September 27, 2007 4:13 PM

Bruno:
I just startted reading "The Black Swan" and it looks like an interesting book.

Posted by: jd watson at September 27, 2007 6:34 PM

It's moronic.

Caucasian/Negro
Macaw/Raven
White sheep/black sheep

Oh, my goodness, there are black swans not just white!?!

Posted by: oj at September 27, 2007 9:51 PM

Here's some ink. It will disfigure for life. Let your child cover themselves in bad art with it.

Here's botulism. It produces a toxin that's a known destroyer of nerve tissue. Let me inject it into your face.

(Your statement quoted above isn't even anecdotal evidence. It's superstition masquerading as profundity, perpetuated by people who make their living scaring the ignorant and gullible by apply W.C.Fields' 2nd and 3rd rules.)

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at September 28, 2007 12:03 AM

No OJ,

It is not moronic. As a matter of fact, it serves to confirm much of the views you espouse on this site.

The writer is egomanical, and much of the book is redundant, but the nuggets of good ideas are there.

What you write above bears no relation to anything I read.

Raoul,

Risk assessment

There are hardly any studies on the toxicity of thiomersal in humans. However, many animal studies have been conducted which demonstrate the various toxicities of thiomersal. Many of these studies demonstrate that thiomersal has abortifacient properties in animals.

For example, a 1975 study by Gassett et al. showed a dramatic increase in fetal death following intraocular and intraperitoneal application of thiomersal in rabbits and rats.[4] Itoi et al. showed a similar increase in fetal death in rabbits given thiomersal intraocularly in a 1972 study.[5] These findings of fetal death were matched in a 1987 study by Digar et al. involving chicken embryoes.[6] Similarly, a 1990 study by Batts et al. showed that thiomersal damages cilia function when applied topically to the trachea of sheep. This finding may indicate a potential mechanism for reproductive toxicity in women in regard to fallopian tube ciliary function.[7][8]

Official reports indicate that children can receive ethylmercury at levels higher than the US Evironmental Protection Agency's guidelines for methylmercury (MeHg) exposure. Burbacher et al (2005) made a "Comparison of Blood and Brain Mercury Levels in Infant Monkeys Exposed to Methylmercury or Vaccines Containing Thimerosal" and found considerable differences. They write in the conclusion of their study: "The key findings of the present study are the differences in the disposition kinetics and demethylation rates of thimerosal and MeHg.

Consequently, MeHg is not a suitable reference for risk assessment from exposure to thimerosal-derived Hg. Knowledge of the biotransformation of thimerosal, the chemical identity of the Hg-containing species in the blood and brain, and the neurotoxic potential of intact thimerosal and its various biotransformation products, including ethylmercury, is urgently needed to afford a meaningful interpretation of the potential developmental effects of immunization with thimerosal-containing vaccines in newborns and infants. This information is critical if we are to respond to public concerns regarding the safety of childhood immunizations."[9]

Hardly an anecdote alone.

You will note that I am not citing some site that attacks the Phat Pharma industry. I do not subscribe to the anti-vaccination dogma.

I merely point out that people who might suspect the "studies" that absolve mercury and thimerisol as a cause for illness are hardly crazy.

What you call "Superstition" is often superior to the false faith in 'experts', studies, and worship of men in white coats.

As some one who was recently diagnosed as "pre-diabetic," I was strongly advised (by an "expert") to start taking statins and other pharma products (to spike my pancreas)

I decided to stop eating bread, pasta, and other similar crap instead. I'm down 25 lbs. (3 mos.) and my cholesterol went from 240 to 180.

My blood sugar hasn't been over 115 in 3 mos. and life is good.

I would argue that it is better to scare the ignoarant (people who eat pasta) instead of profiting off of their ignorance (buying statins).

In this instance, I find neither your, nor OJ's arguments persuasive.

PS - people who inject poisons into their face for vanity's sake disgust me. I don't care to regulate it, but merely to ridicule them.

Posted by: Bruno at September 28, 2007 12:53 AM

What did you think the black swan metaphor was?

Posted by: oj at September 28, 2007 5:52 AM