April 19, 2007

THE BLOOD ON THE PEACOCK'S TALONS:

A Sick Business Decision (Jack Kelly, 4/19/07, Real Clear Politics)

For the sake of a few dollars more, NBC has brought closer the day of the next public mass killing in America.

"This was a sick business tonight, going on the air with this," acknowledged NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams of his network's decision to air portions of the "multimedia manifesto" Cho Seung-Hui mailed NBC in the interval between his murder sprees on the Virginia Tech campus.

It was indeed a sick business decision. Mass killings inspire copycats. "School campuses in at least 10 states were locked down or evacuated in the aftermath of a Virginia Tech student's shooting rampage," the AP reported Wednesday.

NBC is not alone in its guilt. Every news organization which rebroadcast portions of the video, or newspapers (like mine) which published still photographs of Mr. Cho posing with his weapons is complicit.

Local author, Judi Picoult, recently released a novel about a school shooting that was obviously set at Hanover High School. Not only that but she set it in the immediate future. So on the day she'd written about in the book there were about 200 kids absent, cops and parents in the hallways and students sobbing. Of course, those are just the sacrifices we get to make for her "art."

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 19, 2007 4:36 PM
Comments

These are the same people who almost immediately stopped showing pictures of people leaping 100 stories to their deaths or even of the plane hitting the towers or their collapses because they claimed it was too traumatic and out of sensitivity to their victims. They aren't even hypocrites, just liars.

(And I betcha they didn't even think of calling the cops after they made sure they had working copies of all the media in that box,)

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at April 19, 2007 5:22 PM

that's "...until after..."

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at April 19, 2007 5:26 PM

I dunno if anyone's done this, but one could write a screenplay about a media corp that carries out something like a school massacre simply for ratings. I mean, heck, why have to wait around for something to happen that's going to boost your ratings and readership massively. Cut out the middleman.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at April 19, 2007 5:31 PM

My wife just told me that our kids are staying home from school tomorrow for the same reason. We have a Columbine anniversary combined with a local threat that is apparently validated by our Lake Zurich, Illinois PD and she doesn't want to take any chances.

My feeling is that we share these children and if she wants them home tomorrow and won't make fun of me for pulling my daughter out of school on 9/11/01 at about 12pm then that's fine by me. Anyway, I have a Cub Scout campout starting about three hours away tomorrow in Wisconsin and it gives me a chance for an early start.

Do you remember where you were for the Kennedy assasination? Do you wonder whether our children's analogies will involve the parallels between us pulling them from school and our own childhoods spent ducking under desks waiting for the bomb? It's never the known threat that gets you but rather the unknown.

Posted by: Ray Clutts at April 19, 2007 6:09 PM