April 11, 2007

CATCH? IT OUGHT TO BE THE POINT:

Airlines plan more legroom - but you'll fly back to front (GWYNETH REES,11th April 2007, Daily Mail)

Airlines may have finally found a way to grant economy passengers their greatest wish - more leg-room. But there is a catch.

Under a new seat formation being considered by ten carriers, some passengers will have to face backwards.

Which ought to be mandated just for safety reasons, in cars as well.

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 11, 2007 9:55 AM
Comments

I believe Southwest has had a configuration with some backwards facing seats for years.

Posted by: Rick T. at April 11, 2007 11:02 AM

More legroom = more room to stuff more seats into the plane = no more legroom.

Posted by: Random Lawyer at April 11, 2007 11:27 AM

Flying these days is enough of a freak show already without adding this into the mix. It's gotten so bad that I actually caught myself calculating how long it would take to drive on a recent Philadelphia to Denver flight.

Posted by: Mike at April 11, 2007 11:34 AM

Posted by: Mike at April 11, 2007 11:34 AM

Airbus has had a backasswards seating configuration for years now!

Posted by: obc at April 11, 2007 11:34 AM

All people care about is cost. We whine about everything from food to legroom, but the cheapest fare is the one we invariably buy.

Posted by: b at April 11, 2007 11:49 AM

in the bad old days when air travel was only for the uber-rich and we had to use the train, it was headache inducing to face backwards. I doubt it would be any better in the air.

Posted by: erp [TypeKey Profile Page] at April 11, 2007 12:01 PM

Mike,

It's a good thing you took the flight. You probably would've taken the Turnpike to I-70 West, then ran into the painful realization that 70 goes through Columbus, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Kansas City. And only one of those cities (St. Louis) has a workable bypass.

Posted by: Brad S at April 11, 2007 2:04 PM

I still don't quite see how the driver can sit backwards in a forward-going car - a complex series of mirrors? cameras? - but the passenger cars in reverse would be okay by me.

Posted by: Just John at April 11, 2007 3:11 PM

"Passenger cars"? Passenger SEATS is what I meant, of course. (Or maybe I was referring to a train's passenger cars, since that's what we all should be riding anyway, apparently.)

Posted by: Just John at April 11, 2007 5:13 PM

Not only will drivers not be operating the cars eventually, but displays will be available that replicate their view before then. Pilots aren't on board Predators.

Posted by: oj at April 11, 2007 6:57 PM

I'm still not convinced. A "display" is going to have its own set of possible failures, in addition to having all the regular things that can go wrong with a normal windshield. At least a regular windshield won't suddenly go black if a wire gets fried.

And why replicate something that's right there anyway? What would you think of someone who proudly displays his special glasses that allow him to walk backwards? You'd shake your head and think he's silly.

Posted by: Just John at April 11, 2007 8:18 PM

If anyone has problems with air sickness or motion sickness flying facing aft will compound it greatly.

Posted by: Tom Wall at April 11, 2007 8:24 PM

Posted by: Tom Wall at April 11, 2007 8:27 PM

Yes, but no single step would save more lives. (Other than grounding all African airlines...)

Posted by: oj at April 11, 2007 9:53 PM

JJ:

Not in the Sahara.

Posted by: oj at April 11, 2007 9:54 PM

The safety benefit of facing backwards on an airliner is marginal. As for cars, the idea that drivers will face backwards is laughable: many drivers can barely handle their vehicles facing forward. Imagine them parallel parking while facing backward and looking at "displays"!

What I want in an airliner is a bunk bed. That should be just as safe as facing backwards, and a lot more comfortable.

Posted by: PapayaSF at April 11, 2007 10:14 PM

If I could get the passenger seat in my car to face backwards, I could end the life shortening harnagues of my backseat driver wife.

If only I could make her remain calm as I made a 'strong move to the open lane' our blissfull marriage perfect.

Posted by: bruno at April 11, 2007 11:19 PM