October 13, 2006

DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO BE ANTI-LIFE TO BE PRO-WOMAN NOWADAYS?:

Desperately Seeking Susan: When did Susan B. Anthony, the great suffragette, cast her anti-abortion vote? (STACY SCHIFF, 10/13/06, NY Times)

[W]hen exactly did Susan B. Anthony — who fought more tenaciously for women’s rights than anyone else in our history — cast her anti-abortion vote?

There is no question that she deplored the practice of abortion, as did every one of her colleagues in the suffrage movement. [...]

The bottom line is that we cannot possibly know what Anthony would make of today’s debate.

The poor woman's dead, can't we give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she wouldn't have embraced what she knew to be deplorable just because it's become fashionable?

Posted by Orrin Judd at October 13, 2006 12:00 AM
Comments

The fashionable can claim her only when they can demonstrate that she changed her principles based on the latest poll results.

On the other hand, weren't the suffragettes, in general, sympathetic to the programs of the Socialists and Progressives? So why wouldn't she embrace their modern programs, even if they are "deplorable"?

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at October 13, 2006 11:22 AM

Even the most radical suffragette couldn't have dreamed that their protestations would lead to abortion of demand, gay marriage and the rest of the dumbing down of deviancy.

Posted by: erp at October 13, 2006 2:00 PM

Mrs. Erp, I don't know about that. H.G.Wells was an early Progressive, and quite public about the deviancy with their program was pushing for.

Posted by: Robert Mitchell Jr. at October 13, 2006 5:05 PM

Susan B. Anthony. Early example of a useful idiot?

Posted by: jdkelly at October 13, 2006 6:29 PM

Mr. Kipling's poem "The Gods of the Copybook Headings" comes to mind as well. This stuff was sniffed out early, for those who had sense to listen.

Posted by: Robert Mitchell Jr. at October 13, 2006 6:47 PM

Rbt. Thanks for the correction. My comment was off the top of my head. It actually never occurred to me that this level of depravity was set in motion that long ago. Can you direct me to some of Wells writings on this subject?

Posted by: erp at October 13, 2006 6:57 PM

I can't think of a good book covering the subject, Mrs. Erp. Orrin might know; to start, look for a biography of Wells. He was a very public man, and big into the whole free love, etc. Just treated women like hand wipes if I remember correctly.

Posted by: Robert Mitchell Jr. at October 13, 2006 8:38 PM

"On the first Feminian Sandstones we were promised the Fuller Life
(Which started by loving our neighbour and ended by loving his wife)
Till our women had no more children and the men lost reason and faith,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "The Wages of Sin is Death." R. Kipling, Gods of the Copybook Headings, 1919.

Posted by: Robert Mitchell Jr. at October 13, 2006 8:45 PM

www.angeluspress.org/angelus/1999_December/HG_Wells_The_False_Prophet.htm

Posted by: oj at October 13, 2006 9:00 PM

Thank you, sir.

Posted by: Robert Mitchell Jr. at October 13, 2006 9:33 PM

Wells? Early? Ever read anything by, or about the lives of, Rousseau or Shelley?

Posted by: Kirk Parker at October 13, 2006 10:24 PM

Paul Johnson's Intellectuals is especially good.

Posted by: oj at October 13, 2006 10:28 PM

Thanks to all.

Right now, I really miss David. He's the one who told me how to copy a link by holding down ??? key and clicking ??? key and I've forgotten the sequence. I miss his comments as well. I hope he's enjoying his retirement.

No matter how inelegantly, I managed to copy the link and download the Wells bio. It's good timing because I don't have anything I feel like reading at hand right now ... and I haven't read any Kipling in a long time, so I'll find a download link for him too.

"The Intellectuals" is, I think, the primer that needs to be read prior to anyone's entry into the world of politics.

Posted by: erp at October 14, 2006 3:11 PM