July 31, 2006

WE DO IRAN, ISRAEL DOES SYRIA AND IRAQ GETS SPLIT IN HALF:

When the devil dislikes the stink of brimstone (Spengler, 1 August 2006, Asia Times)

It's a bit like the devil disliking the stench of sulfur, but Iran's leaders now complain that the United States has thrown the Middle East into chaos in order to reshape the region. That is a man-bites-camel story. With the exception of the late Yasser Arafat, no one has wielded the weapon of instability with greater skill than Iran. Israel's disproportionate response to the July 12 Hezbollah provocation changed the rules of the game in the region. Whether the players have the presence of mind to exploit the new rules remains an open question...
Israel's strongest move on the chessboard would be a massive armored incursion into Lebanon to crush Hezbollah combined with limited strikes against Syria...
Washington's best move would be an ultimatum to Tehran with a deadline for dismantling its nuclear-weapons program, followed by aerial attacks in the event of non-compliance. Rather than engage the regime of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria, Washington should take the opportunity to destabilize it. Rather than attempt to hold together its Frankenstein monster in Iraq, it should partition the country...

Chaos equals opportunity.

Posted by Pepys at July 31, 2006 7:48 PM
Comments

I keep getting a visual image of General Patton leaning against a wall, tapping his foot: "So... can I get moving on these guys yet?"

Faster, please!

Posted by: Just John at August 1, 2006 1:30 AM

Not realistic, plus Im tired of seeing my tax dollars go to the middle east. What we spend like 300 billion on Iraq but yet American can't even get proper health care. Sure the US could defeat Iran military easily just like Iraq but that won't stop civil uprising vs the USA when it comes to occupying.
Plus just coming off Active duty in the Marine Corp I don't feel like risking my life for nothing.

Posted by: man_9999 at August 1, 2006 1:52 AM

Iraq has nothing to do with the state of health care in the US.

Neither Spengler or I advocated a ground invasion of Iran. Bombardment and/or calling their bluff re: oil is sufficient.

Marines die, it's what they do.

Posted by: Pepys at August 1, 2006 2:21 AM

The other possbility is that Washington is ochestrating the whole thing, but because of diplomatic necessity is feigning "concern" over chaos and counselling Israeli "restraint."

It should have been obvious that maximiziung the other side's contradictions is the easy path to final victory. It is to our ememies'confusion that we raise our toasts.

Posted by: Lou Gots at August 1, 2006 3:02 AM

Bravo bros!

Posted by: erp at August 1, 2006 9:43 AM

Man: I prefer to think that we've spent $6 trillion on healthcare while Iraq has had to get by on a shoe-string. It'll be a great day when the military has everything it could possibly need while Americans have to get along without unnecessary medical treatments.

Posted by: David Cohen at August 1, 2006 10:07 AM

Man - maybe you could help me out. I've must of read the constitution 100 times and still can not find where the government is responsible for anyone's healthcare. Do you have some special secret copy I could look at?

Posted by: BJW at August 1, 2006 10:15 AM

Keep reading the constitution, I could careless. I am a Marine who served my country so its probably easy for people like you to keep saying send them in. We have lives also. Yes we signed up but not to fight the whole damn middle east just because.

I bet the constitution say nothing about occupying countries just cause we feel like it.

Posted by: man at August 1, 2006 9:51 PM

Sir, you took the heathcare thing out of context. My whole point is alot more money could be well spent on our country instead of others.

Don't get me wrong. I served my 4 years honorably, I love my country, but like many american its no secret that Iraq is a disaster.

Posted by: man at August 2, 2006 7:14 AM

Since when do Marines care where or why they die?

The amount of money spent in Iraq has no bearing on the amount of money spent here in the US. It is not a zero sum game.

Posted by: Pepys at August 2, 2006 2:42 PM

i am iranian
no iranian man like war nobody!!

Posted by: farideh at August 4, 2006 3:47 AM