July 24, 2006

IT'S NOT THE NOBEL PRIZE FOR LOGIC

Peace prize winner 'could kill' Bush (Annabelle McDonald, The Australian, 7/25/06)

NOBEL peace laureate Betty Williams displayed a flash of her feisty Irish spirit yesterday, lashing out at US President George W. Bush during a speech to hundreds of schoolchildren....

"I have a very hard time with this word 'non-violence', because I don't believe that I am non-violent," said Ms Williams, 64.

"Right now, I would love to kill George Bush." Her young audience at the Brisbane City Hall clapped and cheered....

"My job is to tell you their stories," Ms Williams said of a recent [sic] trip to Iraq.

"We went to a hospital where there were 200 children; they were beautiful, all of them, but they had cancers that the doctors couldn't even recognise. From the first Gulf War, the mothers' wombs were infected.

"As I was leaving the hospital, I said to the doctor, 'How many of these babies do you think are going to live?'

"He looked me straight in the eye and said, 'None, not one'. They needed five different kinds of medication to treat the cancers that the children had, and the embargoes laid on by the United States and the United Nations only allowed them three."

In order to follow Ms. Williams' logic, let's accept for the moment that there were 200 Iraqi children who had "cancer" caused by "infection" of their mothers' wombs during the first gulf war. Let's accept that they couldn't get the medicine they needed because of the United Nations' embargo of Iraq. Why does Ms. Williams want to kill the man who did what had to be done to save the children?

Posted by David Cohen at July 24, 2006 5:12 PM
Comments

This is one crazy lady.

Posted by: erp at July 24, 2006 5:47 PM

erp;

What else did you expect of someone who won a Nobel peace prize?

Posted by: Annoying Old Guy at July 24, 2006 6:59 PM

Surprise! This is the same prize awarded to Arafat.

Posted by: obc at July 24, 2006 7:32 PM

OK -- there are EXACTLY 200 children - not 199 or 201 ..

they have EXACTLY the SAME (unrecognizable) cancer - but ALL came from an event in the 1st Gulf War (1991) where and when the mothers wombs were 'infected' by some unspecified malady -- which caused the cancer

- all 200 children were 'beautiful'

- ALL 200 of the little buggers are going to die because the doctors know how to treat ALL 200 cancers (despite the fact that they they are ALL unreocognizable) with EXACTLY the SAME 5 drugs, but the UN & US will only allow them to have the 3
of the requisite drugs

sounds plausible to me!

Posted by: JonofAtlanta at July 24, 2006 8:00 PM

Jono,

And all 200 survived for fifteen years so far, but everyone of them is doomed. Well, I guess that's what happens when the US and the UN gangs up on everybody.

Posted by: Peter B at July 24, 2006 8:08 PM

Jono,

Posted by: Peter B at July 24, 2006 8:09 PM

Most likely the 200 mothers were Kurdish.

Posted by: mf at July 25, 2006 12:40 AM

I guess what she means (apparently without even knowing it) is the depleted uranium story, which is used in armor-piercing munitions. Pictures and stories of malformed newborns were widely spread by the Saddam regime and the left.

Of course, DU is not "infectious". Nor is it particularly radioactive. Numerous studies have shown it to be not particularly dangerous at all. It is poisonous when inhaled or ingested, like many other things found in a burned out tank.

In 1991 a lot of DU ammo was not used in Iraq but in Kuwait, yet you never hear a word from them. I suppose the Kuwaitis donĀ“t love their children as much.

If you can believe that this mystery infection attacks only children.

I know, I know. This is not about facts and logic.

Posted by: wf at July 25, 2006 4:25 AM

In fairness to the Nobel committee, she has committed fewer murders than the average recipient.

Posted by: pj at July 25, 2006 8:10 AM

In contrast, our Nobel Peace Prize winners simply sit in boxes with Michael Moore at the Democratic National Convention. At least Ms. Williams speaks for herself when spouting inanities.

Posted by: John at July 25, 2006 1:17 PM