May 11, 2006

SHIPS OF STATE (via Dave Burda & Bryan Francoeur):

New Navy Ship Being Built With WTC Steel (RICHARD PYLE, Apr 3, 2006, AP)

With a year to go before it even touches the water, the Navy's amphibious assault ship USS New York has already made history twice. It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center, and it survived Hurricane Katrina.

Historic liner heads to scrap yard (AP, 5/09/06)
The SS France was of the last great liners in the heyday of trans-Atlantic cruise ships, carrying artist Salvador Dali and his pet ocelot, and taking the Mona Lisa to an exhibition in the United States.

Today it's headed to a scrap yard at Alang in western India

Somehow, the rise of an American warship from the rubble of 9-11 begs to juxtaposed with the scrapping of the SS France in India.

Posted by Orrin Judd at May 11, 2006 12:11 PM
Comments

When I was in third grade, my mother and father took me on a five week tour of Europe. We went over on the QEII and came back on the France.

Posted by: David Cohen at May 11, 2006 12:41 PM

Is it too late for target practice?

David - do you remember any distinctions?

Posted by: ratbert at May 11, 2006 3:13 PM

France also sent their warship Le Clemenceau to India two years ago when it was falling apart. Apparently, India is making an industry of taking France's rusting remains and making something new out of them.

Posted by: John at May 11, 2006 4:10 PM

Ratbert: I remember the trips on the two liners, but not well enough to distinguish between them. I do have the impression that the food was better on the France, but that could be the power of suggestion. My only memory that was distinctly about the QEII is that they had skeet shooting off the deck, which I had never seen before and thought was really cool.

Posted by: David Cohen at May 11, 2006 5:05 PM

Amphibian Assault Ships are the instruments of expeditionary force projection.

"You all love the Screw-guns. . .."

Posted by: Lou Gots at May 12, 2006 8:37 AM