February 1, 2006

Comments

Better Herbie than Munich.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at February 1, 2006 9:45 AM

I thought I saw somewhere that the Oscar nominees for films consisted solely of the political agenda/little box office appeal films like Brokeback, Good luck and Good night, etc. No Harry Potter, No Narnia, etc. Further illustrates Hollywood is in its own little world.

Posted by: AWW at February 1, 2006 9:48 AM

Indeed a charming movie and certainly in my top 5. I'd place Murderball at the top because it is a true story. Don't forget to watch the "Jackass" special feature.

I'd also have to give Black an honorary mention, even though the first part of the movie closely follows The Miracle Worker. Anyone else seen it?

Posted by: Rick T. at February 1, 2006 10:30 AM

My boy loved "Millions," as did I. Child performances that seem so real are rare.

Speaking of movies with moral uplift, I dug two out of the vault recently: Elephant Man (there's a review of that here) and What's Eating Gilbert Grape, both in wide-screen DVD format.

I hadn't seen Elephant Man since the 80s, on pan-and-scan VHS. The restored version is simply stunning. I had forgotten what a fine film it was. Excellent performances all around, perfect sets and cinematography--it goes into my all-time top-ten list.

Gilbert Grape was also a very good (not as perfect as Elephant Man). DiCaprio's take on the retarded Arnie Grape is about the only example I can think of an actor getting a mentally handicapped person right. I didn't much like Rainman, and don't even get me started on Mickey Rooney's "Bill."

Posted by: ted welter at February 1, 2006 10:35 AM

Constantine and Walk The Line should have been on that list.

Posted by: Ali Choudhury at February 1, 2006 11:10 AM

My wife rented Millions from Hy-Vee (Midwestern grocery store chain) a couple of weeks ago and it was excellent. I love those occasions at the rental aisle when you take a chance with a movie that you haven't really heard anything about and you strike gold.

Posted by: pchuck at February 1, 2006 12:08 PM

How can this need to be unlooped with all these comments already?

Posted by: Annoying Old Guy at February 1, 2006 5:44 PM

Millions has a 2004 release date. It was a wonderful movie. The only overlap between the 2 lists is Crash, which I have not seen.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at February 1, 2006 6:00 PM

"Winn Dixie" ought to have been on that list. My wife & I saw "Endof the Spear" last weekend...very good too.

Posted by: Dave W at February 2, 2006 10:40 PM
« HARD WON AND EASILY LOST | Main | DIDN’T ANYONE TELL THEM ABOUT THE ELECTION? »