February 17, 2006

WELL, THE CHICOMS FAVORITE PRESIDENT WAS DICK NIXON... (via Peter Burnet):

On the menu today: horse penis and testicles with a chilli dip (Richard Spencer, 17/02/2006, Daily Telegraph)

The menu at Beijing's latest venue for its growing army of gourmets is eye-watering rather than mouth-watering.

China's cuisine is renowned for being "in your face" - from the skinned dogs displayed at food markets to the kebabbed scorpions sold on street stalls - and there is no polite way of describing Guo-li-zhuang.

The waitress presents a dish combining the male organs of the ox and snake
A dish combining the male organs of an ox and a snake

Situated in an elegantly restored house beside Beijing's West Lake, it is China's first speciality penis restaurant.

Here, businessmen and government officials can sample the organs of yaks, donkeys, oxen and even seals. In fact, they have to, since they form part of every dish - except for those containing testicles. [...]

In China, you are what you eat...

Indeed, PRC is very nearly an anagram for what they're eating and are.

Posted by Orrin Judd at February 17, 2006 8:34 AM
Comments

No beans and frank?

One wonders if Mr. Richard "Don't call me Dick" Spencer lost an office bet or something.

Posted by: Rick T. at February 17, 2006 8:46 AM

And ... coming soon to Washington State.

Posted by: Genecis at February 17, 2006 9:57 AM

This post reminded that I have two one pound bull testicles in my freezer here in Southwest WA. The product of last fall's farm slaughter. Annual brandin' and cuttin' in Texas, where I grew up, was a time for a community celebration; 'mountain oysters', 'calf frys'.

Posted by: tgn at February 17, 2006 10:49 AM

This is why China is where so many new diseases originate.

I wonder how you say "I am a vegetarian" in Mandarin?

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at February 17, 2006 11:01 AM

"hold the testicles...that's not quite what i meant but continue anyway"

Posted by: toe at February 17, 2006 12:00 PM

Just because we let ourselves go with all that "Eff the Communists" business, let's not get all vulgar.

Posted by: Lou Gots at February 17, 2006 12:51 PM

"Chinese vegetarian", like "Mexican enviromentalist", or "Swiss comedian", is an oxymoron.

As for "Rocky Mountain oysters", the annual festival in Clinton, Mont., prominently advertised in sign along I-90, started in the late 1980's.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at February 17, 2006 12:51 PM

Robert S, phonetically, "Wo chi su" will get the job done.

I've sat through my share of banquets here during the past 10 years. I often ask the host WHY are we eating this? Sometimes I get a very interesting answer.

The best advise I can give is never look in the kitchen and never ask whats in the food.

Posted by: Tom Wall at February 17, 2006 3:47 PM

This string is disgusting.

Posted by: erp at February 17, 2006 7:21 PM

One of the two or three most memorable olfactory experiences of my life was walking through the "wet" market in Guangzhou on a hot, sultry July day back in 1998. I'm sure it would be even more memorable today.

The visuals were memorable, too - but not quite as impressive, if you know what I mean.

Posted by: jim hamlen at February 18, 2006 1:38 AM