January 12, 2006

WELCOME TO THE DROWNING POOL, MR. HARPER:

Study urges repeal of Canada's polygamy law (CANADIAN PRESS, Jan. 12, 2006)

A new study for the federal Justice Department says Canada should get rid of its law banning polygamy, and change other legislation to help women and children living in such multiple-spouse relationships.

"Criminalization does not address the harms associated with valid foreign polygamous marriages and plural unions, in particular the harms to women," says the report, obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

Valid foreign?

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 12, 2006 10:52 PM
Comments

First they lowered the age of consensual sex to 14 - but I wasn't interested in teenagers that way so I said nothing.

Then they legalized gay marriage - but I wasn't gay so I said nothing.

Then they said swinging was legal - but I'm no swinger so I said nothing.

Then they allowed for polygamy - but I had no interest in more than one wife so I said nothing.

Then they told me I had to wait six months for my free treatment for my cancerous tumors - but when I said something, I was ignored.

Now I am dying - but I wished I had spoken up against this evil government before I . . . aaaagh!

Posted by: obc at January 12, 2006 11:57 PM

Second possible outcome to previous post:

Then the Muslims took over Canuckistan and recsinded all of the aforementioned Liberal policies - except for polygamy, underage sexual contacts and swinging unless it was in public.

Of course, this was followed by summary executions of unveiled women and homosexuals in the public squares of all cities from St. John's to Vancouver.

Posted by: obc at January 13, 2006 12:19 AM

The way to stop this is to make recognition of foreign polygamous marriages legal contingent on the other country recognizing Canada's gay marriages.

"St. Johns"

There's a name that won't last when the Muslims take over. The same for San Francisco.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at January 13, 2006 1:10 AM

Raoul: Actually, the name might stick; there's a "St. Sophie's Cathedral" in Istanbul. It has, though, been converted, either into a museum or a mosque.

Posted by: Just John at January 13, 2006 2:53 AM

Raoul: Think what the C.J.'s will do when they get to Mexico, across from Brownsville.

There's a great name for a city: "Moorslayer."

Posted by: Lou Gots at January 13, 2006 8:45 AM

Just following US precedent. You remember the Fugitive Slave Act, which required free states to recognize valid slave state ownership relationships.

Posted by: Bob Hawkins at January 13, 2006 11:14 AM

Bob:

How'd that work out?

Posted by: oj at January 13, 2006 11:30 AM

Just John: I really hope you're being sarcastic. The Hagia Sophia was arguably the most important church in all of Christianity, though of course as a good Papist I should give that title to St. Peter's. It was converted to a mosque after Constantinople fell, and into a museum by Ataturk.

Posted by: b at January 13, 2006 12:42 PM
« NOTHING COSTS MORE THAN IT USED TO: | Main | ...'TIL THE LAST DOG BITES THEM...: »