January 26, 2006

TIGHT NET:

Internet serves as 'social glue' (BBC, 1/26/06)

The internet has played an important role in the life decisions of 60 million Americans, research shows.

Whether it be career advice, helping people through an illness or finding a new house, 45% of Americans turn to the web for help, a survey by US-based Pew Internet think-tank has found.

It set out to find out whether the web and e-mail strengthen social ties.

The answer seems to be yes, especially in times of crisis when people use it to mobilise their social networks.

Which is why we're setting up a foundation to help former African dictators transfer their bank accounts around more freely.

MORE:
The Strength of Internet Ties: The internet and email aid users in maintaining their social networks and provide pathways to help when people face big decisions (John Horrigan, Jeffrey Boase, Lee Rainie, Barry Wellman, 1/25/06, Pew Internet & American Life Project)

Posted by Orrin Judd at January 26, 2006 8:30 AM
Comments

I always wondered why you like the Internet so much when you hate virtually every other technology invented after 1850. It just seems kind of odd to me.

Posted by: Bryan at January 26, 2006 9:56 AM

Internet as "social glue"?

More like "obsessive-compulsive adhesive."

Posted by: Barry Meislin at January 26, 2006 10:11 AM

Not to worry OJ, Cheney's connecting the dots on them.

Posted by: Genecis at January 26, 2006 11:15 AM

So much for atomization.

Posted by: Robert Duquette at January 26, 2006 11:17 AM

Robert:

We're Americans. Social glue is what we do.

Posted by: oj at January 26, 2006 11:39 AM

Bryan:

I hate it, but the Wife won't let me hang out in the taproom of the Dartmouth Beta house. I never liked drinking either, but that was where the conversation was.

Posted by: oj at January 26, 2006 11:48 AM

Civilians don't like us spending so much time on the internet because it makes us "loners" who aren't out there engaging with others of our species. I get tired of my kids looking at me like I'm morphing into a Norma Desmond clone who's out of touch with reality.

A perfect example of why engaging with others can be bad for ones mental health was a walk this morning with a neighbor who's a well traveled and well read professional with advanced degrees from places you've heard of and yet the sad fact is that she knows nuttin.

She thought it amusing that I would dispute something she read in the "National Geographic," a publication to which she's subscribed since the beginning of recorded history. Needless to say she's also a victim of BDS, so we stay away from politics and the WoT, but she's equally clueless about literally everything that we might chat about in the course of an hour's walk.

Help!

Can anyone tell me, how, if someone is so basically clueless and defensive about it, you can you begin to disabuse them of their cherished long held fictions or if not that, how can you spend time with someone you don't want to talk to?

Posted by: erp at January 26, 2006 2:51 PM

If the Internet is social glue, BroJudd is a tube of cyanoacrylate. Superior adhesion power.

Posted by: Ed Bush at January 27, 2006 12:44 PM
« EVEN THE CHICKEN SALAD STARTED OUT OTHERWISE (via Steve Jacobson): | Main | THE DIVERGENCE OF DEMOCRATS FROM AMERICA: »