December 15, 2005


Steady as she sinks (David Warren, 12/14/05, Ottawa Citizen)

We have reasons not to vote Liberal in this election. I mean, not just me. At least 57 percent of the electorate, according to polls, would like to see them crucified. And not all the remaining 43 percent can be on the take. It is hard to imagine, under the present circumstances, how the Liberals could be ahead in any province.

But here is the rub. In addition to wanting one party out, the people must want another party in. That is where the Conservatives persist in letting us down. They will not give us a reason to vote for them. They have nothing to offer that is distinguishable in principle from what the Liberals offer. This leaves inexperience as their “unique selling point”. I am truly unexcited.

Westerners blame Ontario for refusing to accept any party that has a Western base. There is something in that, but not what appears. The truth is that Ontario has been demographically altered so rapidly and to such a degree, that it is no longer the same province that elected Mike Harris, as recently as 1999. And yet a huge, still basically WASP, semi-rural Ontario continues to exist out there, and continues to share precisely the same ethos and outlook as Alberta -- minus the will to live.

Posted by Orrin Judd at December 15, 2005 10:30 PM

Well, perhaps western Ontario should consider separating from eastern Ontario and merging with Alberta when she secedes from the Confederation once known as Canada - now known as Canuckistan.

Posted by: obc at December 15, 2005 11:17 PM

I think the same sort of dynamic may be in play in the US, too, and that's why I think all this talk about the Stupid Party being in trouble next year is premature at best. While there may be a large number of non-Leftist people who are dissatisfied with the GOP, they aren't being presented with a better or even a plausable alternative by the Dems, and so will stick to the lesser evil they know.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at December 15, 2005 11:58 PM

With such choices in a parliamentary system, Orrin believes it is the people and not the system that hurts Canada. Just imagine how tenuous a situation conservatism in America would be would be if Congress chose the president and there were no Senate...

There but by the grace of God go you likewise. (Faith in the majority is not faith in God because He has never been the choice of the majority!)

Posted by: Randall Voth at December 16, 2005 3:03 AM


I'm having a terrible time keeping up with your shifting boundaries. Just as I get my head around the shape of one new country, you spring another on us. Why don't we just all secede and join Alberta?

Warren is spot on. The other day there was a kerfuffle on child care, with the Conservatives promoting a far superior tax credit as opposed to the Libs' statist approach. Yet I suspect 99% of the electorate cannot relate this issue to any general approach or thrust to government---first, second or third way. It just sits there in a goody-bag with lots of others. The Conservatives wasted 18 months since the last election declining to preach conservatism lest the soccer moms got upset about something. It's too late to try and play Burke or Hayek now.

Posted by: Peter B at December 16, 2005 6:25 AM

Just imagine how tenuous a situation conservatism in America would be would be if Congress chose the president and there were no Senate...

Are you kidding? The House is arguably the most conservative federal institution. It would be great!

Posted by: Timothy at December 16, 2005 2:10 PM

From Hudson Bay to Lake Superior and Georgian Bay, we hail thee Westario! We see thee rising free!

Posted by: Dave W at December 16, 2005 9:27 PM