October 26, 2005

THIS COMING OUT MAY NOT PLEASE THE WNBA CROWD

Comets' Swoopes Opens Up About Being Gay (Associated Press, 10/26/05)

Houston Comets forward Sheryl Swoopes is opening up about being a homosexual, telling a magazine that she's "tired of having to hide my feelings about the person I care about."

Swoopes, honored last month as the WNBA's Most Valuable Player, told ESPN The Magazine for a story on newsstands Wednesday that she didn't always know she was gay and fears that coming out could jeopardize her status as a role model.

"Do I think I was born this way? No," Swoopes said. "And that's probably confusing to some, because I know a lot of people believe that you are."

Swoopes, who was married and has an 8-year-old son, said that being with a man was what she wanted at the time. But her 1999 divorce "wasn't because I'm gay," she said.

If she wasn't "born this way," then doesn't that make her lifestyle a choice?

That can't be entirely satisfying to the folks who make up a large segment of the attendance at WNBA games.

Posted by kevin_whited at October 26, 2005 9:51 PM
Comments

dunking is patriarchical, and i should know

Posted by: ward churchill at October 26, 2005 10:27 PM

Make 'em use the same size basketball.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at October 27, 2005 12:31 AM

Saw her get one in the face back when she was in high school, but in this case it was a volleyball, and while she was hugged by her Brownfield teammates, no kisses.

Posted by: John at October 27, 2005 12:42 AM

just one more nail in the coffin of another usless sport. I think if she would of come out "as always being gay" there would be less of a fuss. No one likes when someone changes horses mid stream.

Posted by: buck at October 27, 2005 7:39 AM

Trying to determine whether one is born that way or it is a choice is a largely useless session of mental gymnastics.

The groundwork for one's gayness or straightness is CERTAINLY laid before one reaches the Age of Consent, which is what, 13 or 14?

Without consent, there is no such thing as a choice.

Posted by: Mr. Hutchison at October 27, 2005 9:49 AM

Lesbians in the WNBA! I am shocked! Shocked, I tell ya.

Next thing you know, they'll be saying there is an overabundance of gay men in figure skating!

Posted by: pchuck at October 27, 2005 10:35 AM

Buck: you are correct the WNBA is a useless sport. It is total affirmative action in the sporting world. ABC and ESPN bend-over backwards to make it seem relevant. In an already saturated sports industry, the WNBA is the lowest of the low.

Another thing, I read one article about Ms. Swoopes and it said she is "one of the best basketball players in the world." That is pure unadulterated hogwash. She is one of the best female basketball players in the world. 99% of NBA players on a bad day could smoke Ms. Swoopes in one on one.

Posted by: pchuck at October 27, 2005 10:47 AM

pchuck:

For my entertainment. Please name the 4 NBA players that wouldn't. OK Greg Ostertag. Who are the other 3.

Posted by: Jeff at October 27, 2005 11:00 AM

Jeff: You've called me, I can't name them because there aren't any. I used 99% in case Swoopes and the NBA player were playing one-on-one and a bolt of lightning struck the NBA player or a white shark bit the NBA player.

Posted by: pchuck at October 27, 2005 11:39 AM

Several years ago I had the opportunity to attend a few WNBA games (actually, the other league, which folded), and I came away impressed. Had my daughters been old enough at the time, I would much rather have taken them there than to the NBA*. Why? Because they would have seen an actual game of basketball, played by athletes who love the game. Every player left everything she had on the floor, and the fundamentals on display - especially of team play - were impressive. The contrast to the modern-day NBA couldn't be any more stark.

Of course, the NBA isn't really about basketball anymore. It's about star marketing, celebrity images and flashy plays that will make that evening's SportsCenter. It's about self-glorification and ostentatious displays of wealth. It's an 80's nighttime soap. It's only marginally a sport.

The WNBA is entertaining precisely if you're interested in watching team basketball.

*Actually, I wouldn't dare take them to an NBA game.

Posted by: M. Bulger at October 27, 2005 4:26 PM

Back in the days when I worked at an NBC affiliate, I used to broadcast the WNBA games on Saturday afternoons. I found it about as entertaining as regular basketball games. Which is to say, not at all. I don't understand the animosity directed towards it, though. There's women's golf, hockey and boxing, why not women's basketball? Don't the women's NCAA finals do bigger business than the men's NCAA finals? Or am I confused on that point?

Posted by: Bryan at October 27, 2005 5:40 PM

No and Yes.

The WNBA isn't so bad, if one doesn't mind terrible shooting (with a miniature ball), bad passing, and plodding (instead of running).

Posted by: kevin whited at October 27, 2005 5:58 PM