July 12, 2005

NEXT YEAR IN WILLIAMSBURG

Israel to pass U.S. as biggest Jewish community (Matthew Tostevin, Reuters, 7/12/05)

Israel will by next year become home to the largest Jewish community in the world for the first time, surpassing the Jewish population in the United States, a think tank said on Tuesday.

Not for nearly 2,000 years has the Holy Land been home to the globe's biggest Jewish community.

Fortunately, we've been able to take advantage of lax immigration laws to infiltrate Americans into all levels of Israeli society and government, ensuring that the Israelis will do our bidding when it counts.

Posted by David Cohen at July 12, 2005 1:47 PM
Comments

I just hope there is a strong cadre of Israeli paleos around to point out that the relationship is completely one-sided and that the smart money would focus on oil-rich Canada.

Posted by: Peter B at July 12, 2005 2:03 PM

No one except for Canadians and Americans distinguishes between Canadians and Americans.

Posted by: David Cohen at July 12, 2005 2:09 PM

Well, terrorists crossing the Northern border do.

Posted by: ratbert at July 12, 2005 2:11 PM

David: You mean no one except Canadians. Americans don't think about Canada at all.

Posted by: b at July 12, 2005 2:16 PM

Our Israli outpost is one of the things that insures we don't go all Canadian on this business.

Posted by: Lou Gots at July 12, 2005 2:18 PM

b: You are absolutely correct. Just one more way that hanging around here has warped me: Sometimes, I think about Canada.

Posted by: David Cohen at July 12, 2005 2:19 PM

David, that sounds like the beginning of a dirty confession. Sometimes, I think about Canada....

Posted by: RC at July 12, 2005 2:30 PM

I never thought I would write a letter like this. One night I answered my door to find Canada. Her coal tar deposits were spilling out of her dress and my eyes were pulled to her tawny wheat fields. "The body is English," she murmured, "but the mind is French." She tugged at her British Columbia as I ...

Posted by: David Cohen at July 12, 2005 2:44 PM

...ontarioed at her saskatchewan.

Posted by: Barry Meislin at July 12, 2005 5:43 PM

"infiltrate Americans into all levels of Israeli society and government"

Ah, yes, the fabled AOG (American Occupation Government) of conspiracy theory.

Posted by: H.D. Miller at July 12, 2005 6:25 PM

Manny Toba and Al Berta saw the elusive Saskatch Ewan last night.

I confess that I thought about Canada when I was younger. I also traveled across the border from Detroit to Windsor (Allah, forgive me, for I have followed the way of the infidel) on several occasions. Why? Because Michigan's drinking age went up to 21 just B4 I turned 18, while Ontario's remained at 18.

Geographic trivia: Detroit is the only US city north of mainland Canada.

Posted by: Dave W. at July 12, 2005 8:48 PM

I'll get you for ratting me out, H.D.

Posted by: Annoying Old Guy at July 13, 2005 1:34 PM
« FUN IN THE "SUNSHINE": | Main | ROLL OUT THOSE LAZY HAZY CRAZY DAYS OF SUMMER... »