June 30, 2005

TAKES TWO TO DETANGLE:

Rove Crosses Line With Attack On Liberals: Bush Adviser Comes Close To Calling Democrats 'Appeasers' (Helen Thomas, June 30, 2005, Hearst Newspapers)

President George W. Bush has said he wants to change the tone in Washington.

Well, he can start right now by apologizing for the outrageous remarks to the Conservative Party of New York last week by Karl Rove...

He said that six years and googleplex Bush=Hitlers ago.

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 30, 2005 11:38 AM
Comments

So I read the headline and thought, "I'll give it a read. Let's get all opinions, etc..."

Then I saw 'Helen Thomas'.

Is there a SINGLE Republican among, what, 60 million, who will react to anything Helen Thomas says with anything but a snort and a guffaw?

I then internalized the price Democrats are paying with their ceaseless over the top attacks. Helen, who has an historic record in American journalism, is now to be ignored just by her name alone, as I will here.

There's a tragedy in there.

Posted by: Andrew X at June 30, 2005 12:07 PM

American journalism's batty old aunt in the attic.

Posted by: Mike Morley at June 30, 2005 12:12 PM

Saw at another site (sorry OJ) that the approval level for both GOP and Dems is down but significantly more for Dems than GOP over the past few months.

Posted by: AWW at June 30, 2005 12:41 PM

Here is the poll. It's a Democratic party poll, and it is devastating:

Posted by: Luciferous at June 30, 2005 12:51 PM

Whenever I hear or see a reference to the old bag, I'm often reminded of the moniker a friend gave Thomas, he calls her "Stewed Prunes". I ventured to ask why and his immediate reply was "It speaks to both her appearance and the effect her writing has on my digestion."

Posted by: Robert Modean at June 30, 2005 12:52 PM

When I read the title I thought this was another post on quantum mechanics.

Posted by: Annoying Old Guy at June 30, 2005 1:43 PM

Andrew X:

I disagree. Is there any American capable of fogging a mirror who ...

Uhhh. Never mind.

Posted by: Jeff Guinn at June 30, 2005 1:46 PM

I honestly thought Helen thomas was dead.

Posted by: Shelton at June 30, 2005 3:24 PM

Her message would have been more effective if she stamped her foot.

Shelton, I honestly thought the same thing. But I'm glad she's still around as a face of her party. She should have been in Clinton's oddity of a cabinet.

Posted by: Genecis at June 30, 2005 10:08 PM

Has anyone noticed that Helen Thomas looks almost exactly like W.H. Auden?

Posted by: Brooks at June 30, 2005 10:19 PM

"Like a wedding cake left out in the rain" was how Auden described his own face. Keith Richards still makes them both look fresh as daisies.

Posted by: joe shropshire at July 1, 2005 12:05 PM

You mean Jimmy Webb stole that line? Now, that's embarrassing.

Posted by: David Cohen at July 1, 2005 6:34 PM

Not at all. It's who you steal from that counts.

Posted by: joe shropshire at July 2, 2005 12:31 AM