May 4, 2005

THE EASTERN WORLD, IT IS IMPLODING:

Under-15 population falls for 24th year (Japan Times, 5/05/05)

The number of children under 15 years old in Japan has fallen for the 24th year in a row to an estimated 17.65 million as of April 1, down 150,000 from a year earlier and constituting a record low 13.8 percent of the population, a government report showed Wednesday.

By segment, the largest portion of the under-15 group was made up of children between the ages 12 and 14, at 3.62 million. The smallest segment was from birth to 2, at 3.38 million, reflecting the continuing drop in births as the population continues to gray.

The proportion of children under 15 relative to the total population has been declining since 1975 after falling 0.1 percentage point from the previous year. Japan, along with Italy at 14.2 percent, are two of the countries with the narrowest bases in their population pyramids.

By comparison, the same proportion is 20.7 percent in the United States, 20.3 percent in South Korea, and 18.3 percent in Britain.

An inverted pyramid won't stand.

Posted by Orrin Judd at May 4, 2005 8:26 PM
Comments

Great song. I still know all the words.

Speaking of songs ("Ohio"), Orrin, anybody wish you a happy Kent State Day today?

Posted by: Rick T. at May 4, 2005 9:56 PM

Thanks!

Posted by: oj at May 4, 2005 10:24 PM

I still remember the stares I got in high school when I said that Kent State proved how cowardly the anti-war movement was.

Posted by: jim hamlen at May 4, 2005 10:29 PM

You old enough to remember the tv movie? The liberals in our fraternity freaked when we applauded the shooting.

Posted by: oj at May 4, 2005 10:35 PM

I missed that one.

However, the night Reagan was elected, we laughed as all the wimpy leftists came into the room after dinner and then disappeared by about 8:15 PM. Many of the social service types were upset because they thought they wouldn't get jobs.

Posted by: jim hamlen at May 4, 2005 10:50 PM

I bet the same guys a chug a state on the election, did my six and said: You owe me 44.

Posted by: oj at May 4, 2005 10:54 PM

What I remember about Kent State was the way liberal sportswriters embarassed themselves over it. Both Thurman Munson and Jack Lambert were Kent State alumni and each was asked about the riot and the way the National Guard handled things. Each said, in a different interview, 'They should have shot all them 'mother-f******.'

Posted by: bart at May 5, 2005 8:08 AM