April 19, 2005

BAD HISTORY:

New pope a conservative who divided Germans: But Ratzinger a favorite son in Alpine hills of Bavaria (The Associated Press, April 19, 2005)

Actually, FDR, Churchill and Stalin divided Germany. Pope John Paul II reunited them.

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 19, 2005 5:41 PM
Comments

Again. You've hit the nail on the head.

Posted by: erp at April 19, 2005 6:22 PM

On another blog, I read, "Ratzinger as pope is as bad as having Karl Rove as President."

Posted by: at April 19, 2005 7:09 PM

Oh boy, are we in for a wild ride for the next few days...or years. Just left the local news on TV which featured the local Lesbian-Catholic-progressive-feminist perspective at 300 resentful pounds. It was so razor-sharp inciteful that there was no need for any contrasting views.

I'm praying tonight for Benedict--especially that he be given strength and that his supporters of all faiths speak out loudly.

Posted by: Peter B at April 19, 2005 7:09 PM

From what I've seen and read of Benedict XVI, I'm, not sure that I, a Christian cut of Protestant cloth, will have the same sense of kinship with and warmth toward him that I had toward John Paul II. None the less, I agree, "speak out loudly" all people of faith and pray fervently for the pope.

Posted by: Dave W. at April 19, 2005 7:21 PM

The mother-in-law, who gets all of her news from the 30 second snippets from the MSM, called to lament the choice of a "conservative" to lead the choice and that the Church blew the chance to elect some nice moderate who would stop opposing abortion and so on.

Like post #2 the more the screaming on the left the better Ratzinger must be.

Posted by: AWW at April 19, 2005 7:27 PM

Does anyone know where B16 (I love that) stands on the war in Iraq and Bush policies in general?

Posted by: erp at April 19, 2005 7:33 PM

erp:

One troublesome not is that B15 is famed for his neutrality in WWI and desire to be an honest broker between the two sides. Hopefully that isn't what his successor plans.

Posted by: oj at April 19, 2005 7:42 PM

OJ:
That's the way NPR has been painting Ratzinger's name choice. They also take it as a sign that he will try to soften his "grand inquisitor" image as pope.

erp:
B16 sounds good to me too.

Posted by: Dave W. at April 19, 2005 8:03 PM

I don't think he had Benny15 in mind at all when he made the choice.

For Dave W.:

I think that the new pope is actually closer to Prots than JP2 -- he's kept a strong dialogue with his fellow Germans on the Luthernan side it seems.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at April 19, 2005 8:41 PM

Interesting point on Amy Welborn's blog that one of the points of Benedict XVI may be that Pius X, the Pope immediately preceding Benedict XV, was a Saint.

Posted by: David Cohen at April 19, 2005 8:50 PM

oj - I don't think B16 cares in the least what B15 may have done.

erp - No one knows, and I don't think we'll find out either. But it will be interesting to see if he continues JPII's opposition to the death penalty.

Posted by: pj at April 19, 2005 8:53 PM

Another guy wins an election by running to the right.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at April 19, 2005 9:52 PM

B16 better hope the cardinals got it right. The last time they messed up a conclave the Lord took a mulligan.

Posted by: jeff at April 19, 2005 11:24 PM

Jeff:
Some would say that the cardinals "messed up" in '58 & '63 as well by backing off their election of Cardinal Suri both times, as well in Aug. of '78.

Posted by: Phil at April 20, 2005 1:24 AM

"Another guy wins an election by running to the right."
I think it would be more accurate to say that Benedict 16 held his ground; He didn't need to move to be on the right.

Posted by: SCSIwuzzy at April 20, 2005 11:22 AM
« NO TRIUMPHAL SPIRIT AMONG THE DEFEATED (via Robert Schwartz): | Main | IT'S GOOD FOR THE JEWS »