February 10, 2005

GENDER AS DISEASE:

Female workers ask for paid menstrual leave (Sydney Morning Herald, February 11, 2005)

Female workers at carmaker Toyota could soon benefit from 12 days paid menstrual leave each year.

The claim is one of 600 improvements being sought by the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU) from the company. [...]

"We're at the working party stage at the moment," said AMWU Vehicle Division federal secretary Ian Jones, who is also chairman of the Federation of Vehicle Industry Unions.

Mr Jones said the thinking behind the menstrual leave provision was "obvious".

"It's the same as why we have maternity leave and parental leave, these are all matters that deal with your working life and issues that you can't ignore," he said.

"We believe that people should be given that time off to accommodate the circumstances that they find themselves in."

The menstrual leave would be in addition to sick leave.

I know even less about women than most topics, but can't help thinking that were I one this would be humiliating.

Posted by Orrin Judd at February 10, 2005 3:00 PM
Comments

Nonsense, most women take it in stride. Just a fact of life, plus with this perk 12 days freeloading on the employer.

If they want fairness and something something meaningful they should give men a few days hemorrhoid leave.

Posted by: tw at February 10, 2005 4:02 PM

If it really is the same as why they have maternity leave, then I know even less about women than I thought.

Posted by: David Cohen at February 10, 2005 4:50 PM

Oh, good grief, give them that pill that stops it for most of the year.

I want to be treated equally but wait.

Posted by: Sandy P at February 10, 2005 5:40 PM

We should give them off the days before and then be free of having to deal with pms.

Posted by: George at February 10, 2005 5:47 PM

The phone rings at the plant:

Hello.

Hi, this is Lydia from bumper assembly, I won't be coming in today.

What's the problem Lydia?

I woke up this morning with one of those not so fresh feelings.

Click. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: AllenS at February 10, 2005 6:24 PM

Feminism has two theories:

Theory A: Women are exactly identical to men and any right, privledge, duty or obligation granted to or imposed on men, but not women is inherently irratinonal and must be abolished.

Therefore women cops, women firemen, women construction workers, women fighterpilots.

Theory B: Women are very different from men and are very special and have been oppressed and abused by men.

Therefore women soldiers do not get buzz cuts, women firemen do not carry the same loads as real firemen, women basketball players use a smaller ball. And in this example 12 menstrual cramp days a year. (why not 13?)

Feminists get to use either theory or both theories as it suits their mood and their purpose.

All of this was finnally made clear to me when my son was 5 and I enrolled him in a soccer leauge. (I know but its fine for little kids to play while their parents drink coffee on the sidelines, Its just not any better to watch when the players are 27 and not your kid) I was told the league had co-ed teams and girls teams.

What? No Boys teams?

No, Sir.

Why not?

Will you please stop being difficult.

There you have it. Theory A and Thgeory B. Coed teams and girls teams, but no boys teams.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at February 10, 2005 10:01 PM

It's really not such a bad idea. There should be parity, however: men should be able to call in at least 12 days a year and say, "Feeling homicidal today, won't be able to make it."

(Especially postal workers.) Might save a few precious lives.

Posted by: Barry Meislin at February 11, 2005 3:14 AM

Wonder how Nancy Hopkins (she who almost threw up after listening to Larry Summers) feels about this? Perhaps it is ennobling to her.

Posted by: jim hamlen at February 11, 2005 9:05 AM