September 29, 2004

THE HAUNTED HIGH SCHOOL:

High School Politics 101 (David Corn, 9/29/04, TomPaine.com)

I am haunted by a conversation I had the night of the Super Tuesday primary contest. John Kerry had just sealed the deal; he would be the Democrats’ presidential nominee. And I was speaking with one of his most senior advisers. The general election, this consultant told me, would turn on how “mature” the media and the electorate would be.

I now know what he meant, and I want to scream, “Grow up.” [...]

What’s discouraging is that Bush and his lieutenants have been so successful in framing much of the election in juvenile terms. And the mainstream media has hardly been able to act as hallway monitor, let alone a school principal. In my darker moments, I’ve often said that human interaction doesn’t evolve all that much past high school. In this campaign, the Bush clique is doing all it can to prove this theory correct. But it is the rest of the kids—I mean, the voters—who will determine if the politics of derision, big lying, fear mongering, simplicity and immaturity will work.

It's a month from Halloween and the Left is already haunted by their failure against George Bush? By November the offices of the Nation, the Times and the DNC are likely to look like Heaven's Gate headquarters after an unexpected return of Hale-Bopp.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 29, 2004 1:37 PM
Comments

Corn ego - "Power to the people!"
Corn id - "Eat the rich, and everyone else!"
Ah, the Left. Ever the wise ones.

Posted by: luciferous at September 29, 2004 1:55 PM

What a bunch of nonsense.
From the start, the Kerry campaign has been based upon derision (like calling Bush stupid and a simpleton from day #1), big lying (like misrepresenting the stated grounds for Iraq, misrepresenting Niger, Joe Wilson, Michael Moore, trying to falsify Bush Air NG record, trying to scare minorities), fear mongering (trying to scare foreign allies, "Mushroom cloud" Teddy, etc.), simplicity (like on tax, economic and racial issues), and immaturity (Kerry can't even handle falling down on a ski slope without throwing a tantrum).
Corn has just listed many of the reasons why Kerry should lose.

Posted by: Steve at September 29, 2004 2:13 PM

I get the feeling that Mr. Corn didn't have the happiest of high school experiences.

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at September 29, 2004 2:29 PM

This from a sophomoric writer whose entire contribution to the national conversation for the past four years has been Bush Lied!

Posted by: Melissa at September 29, 2004 2:37 PM

And the "big lying" and fear mongering continues— look at the claims of the GOP and Bush reinstating the draft that's just come up.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at September 29, 2004 2:52 PM

Corn is one of those people who helps me improve my reaction time with the TV remote. The second his hideous grill appears on the box, it's History Channel or Food Network for me.

The notion of such leftists drinking the kool-aid for real is too delicious to contemplate.

Well, OK, maybe a little bit...

Posted by: M. Murcek at September 29, 2004 3:04 PM

The reaction on the left to their impending doom has been nothing short of vicious. Neighbors, who I thought only a few years ago to be normal suburban residents, are displaying lawn signs with hateful, dishonest and mean-spirited slogans and statements. I can only imagine this viciousness will get worse and more widespread as reality sets in that there views are those of a small minority.

Posted by: Mike M at September 29, 2004 4:08 PM

Dear Mr. Corn:
RE: Your Contempt For the American People.

Same to you, pal.

Very truly yours,
Michael J. Orris

Posted by: Mikey at September 29, 2004 4:41 PM

This pathology is killing the Democratic Party. The tendency of many left-wing pundits and politicians to blame the public because of their own electoral inadequacies is insane. I'm looking forward to our years in the wilderness simply so my generation can remove these dinosaurs from the party and fashion a winning coalition again. 1972-2004 is too long for these McGovernites to control the party.

Posted by: Chris Durnell at September 29, 2004 7:57 PM

Corn always reminded me of an obnoxious kid I beat up in Hebrew School, after he told me that my dad should have been killed in the Korean War for fighting the Communists.

Posted by: Bart at September 30, 2004 8:16 AM
« DO THINGS EVOLVE BACK TO THEIR ORIGINAL FORM?: | Main | ONE LAST SCORE FOR THE GIPPER (via Robert Schwartz): »