September 28, 2004

RUNAWAY AMERICAN DREAM:

Edwards to rally Jersey (MICHAEL SAUL, 9/28/04, NY DAILY NEWS)

Democratic vice presidential nominee John Edwards will campaign for the first time today in New Jersey, a clear sign that the campaign is worried about losing the historically Democratic state to President Bush.

"New Jersey is a critical battleground state. At this point, it's pretty close," conceded Juanita Scarlett, a spokeswoman for Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry. "We certainly want to shore up our support."

While just last month Kerry was leading Bush by as much as 10 points in New Jersey, a flurry of recent polls show the two are now statistically tied. The state has 15 electoral votes.

Get out while you're young, Mr. Edwards.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 28, 2004 4:16 PM
Comments

"I'm here today with you in New Jersey because tramps like me and my running mate, Senator John Kerry, baby, we were born to run."

Posted by: Mike Morley at September 28, 2004 4:48 PM

Has Bush or Cheney even campaigned in New Jersey?

Posted by: h-man at September 28, 2004 4:55 PM

h-man:

I think the closest Cheney got was Ellis Island (or Liberty Island? - I forget) to kick off the Republican Convention. Bush 41 kicked off his 1988 campaign at a New Jersey flag factory, if memory serves, but I don't think that counts.

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at September 28, 2004 5:01 PM

I guess they think the half-life of the Jim McGreevey radioactivity bomb has dissapated to the point they can send Canary John into the coal mine to see if its safe for JFK to trod into the state without being bombarded by gay marriage questions.

Posted by: John at September 28, 2004 9:14 PM

Well, as I have been arguing on my site since last April, New Jersey is not a safe Democratic state. It leans Democratic by a few points, but no more. Reagan won it twice, as did George H. W. Bush in 1988. And he ran better in New Jersey in 1992 than he did in the nation as a whole.

Posted by: Jim Miller at September 28, 2004 10:41 PM

As has been stated before watching what a campaign does rather than the polls gives you a better idea of the shape of the race. The fact that the Dems feel the need to campaign in NJ is telling. It's only 1 visit by the VP nominee (I think Laura Bush made a recent visit) but if the Dems start TV advertising or Kerry makes a visit you know the Dems think NJ is in play.

Posted by: AWW at September 28, 2004 11:02 PM