August 21, 2004

NOT EXACTLY REAGAN, WAYNE & COOPER:

DOING THE 'RIGHT' THING IN L.A. (Page Six, August 21, 2004, NY Post)

IS there a growing cadre of closet conservatives in Hollywood?

In an exposé on secret Hollywood Republicans in its upcoming September issue, Details magazine unmasks a host of stealth celebrity conservatives, including Adam Sandler, Freddie Prinze Jr., Jessica Simpson and Shannen Doherty. [...]

In a piece appearing in the same issue, powerful young Sony producer Mike DeLuca comes clean on what it's like being an open Republican in Hollywood, telling horror stories full of screaming environmentalists, vandalized cars, and being looked at like "you've recently been exposed as a serial killer."

DeLuca blasts hypocritical Hollywood liberals: "They scream about the environment before they hop onto their private jets and blow 8,000 pounds of fuel getting to the Hamptons. Maybe the anger stems from the fact that the left is out of power, or maybe it's because creative people are passionate by nature and prefer emotion to facts."

The voters of California seem to like conservative actors.

MORE:
QUESTIONS FOR VINCENT GALLO: Gallo's Humor (Interview by DEBORAH SOLOMON, August 22, 2004, NY Times Magazine)

Posted by Orrin Judd at August 21, 2004 4:06 PM
Comments

The New Jersey GOP site has a "Babe of the Week" page. There are some pretty astonishing names (err, and bodies as well) there.

Posted by: Ed Driscoll at August 21, 2004 4:52 PM

Ed:

No Maggie?

Posted by: oj at August 21, 2004 5:02 PM

Orrin,

Hey, I don't pick 'em! I'm sure they'd welcome her as a write-in candidate, however.

Posted by: Ed Driscoll at August 21, 2004 5:05 PM

I am not at all surprised if there are Republicans in Hollywood, but I wonder if any of them are really conservatives.

Posted by: Vince at August 21, 2004 6:12 PM

Barbara Simpson is my babe! Check out her radio show on www.ksfo560.com every weekend from 4PM-7PM. You can also check out her weekly column posted every Monday on www.worldnetdaily.com.

Posted by: Vince at August 21, 2004 6:16 PM

By the way, Barbara's show times are Pacific because she lives in San Francisco.

Posted by: Vince at August 21, 2004 6:17 PM

Shannen Doherty came out of the closet years ago. Too bad she's insane.

Posted by: Bob Hawkins at August 21, 2004 7:05 PM

Bob: Miss Doherty is not insane, just high-strung.

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at August 21, 2004 9:42 PM

I'm sure the Hollywood Republicans are all cuddly-wuddly ersatz Republicans like Jim Jeffords used to be, but I'll take what I can get. Isn't Daisy Fuentes in the GOP?

Posted by: Governor Breck at August 21, 2004 10:03 PM

That Vincent Gallo always cracks me up. I enjoyed Buffalo 66 but there's no way I'm going near that Brown Bunny movie!

Posted by: mokulen at August 21, 2004 10:39 PM

"Adam Sandler, Freddie Prinze Jr., Jessica Simpson and Shannen Doherty"

So, going in reverse order, conservatives have a bitch, an airhead, a talentless pretty-boy and a guy who makes a living telling poop jokes as their vanguard in Hollywood? I'm sure the liberal intelligentsia is quaking in their boots.

Posted by: Dave at August 21, 2004 11:11 PM

A really smart conservative in Hollywood would be under deep cover. very deep cover.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at August 22, 2004 12:26 AM

I thought Doherty actually appeared in a GOP convention - not exactly the epitome of "stealth".

(Actually, I believe she appeared at the convention some time before she became tagged as a bitch. I always thought it was an odd coincidence that only after she was revealed as a conservative that all these nasty rumors about her started flowing... hmmmm...;)

Posted by: Just John at August 22, 2004 2:44 AM

Finally a reason to respect Adam Sandler. I can't for the life of me understand why he has a movie career, but he certainly has his market figured out, unlike most SNL alums.

Posted by: Robert Duquette at August 23, 2004 11:59 AM