June 17, 2004

WHAT WAR?:

Public Support for War Resilient: Bush's Standing Improves (Pew Research Center, June 17, 2004)

Americans are paying markedly less attention to Iraq than in the last two months. At the same time, their opinions about the war have become more positive. The number of Americans who think the U.S. military effort is going well has jumped from 46% in May to 57%, despite ongoing violence in Iraq and the widening prison abuse scandal. And the percentage of the public who believes it was right to go to war inched up to 55%, from 51% in May.

The new Pew survey indicates that many Americans are becoming less connected to the news about Iraq and possibly more hardened to events there. Just 39% say they are tracking developments in Iraq very closely -- down 15 points since April and the lowest level this year. In addition, 35% say that people they know are becoming less emotionally involved with the news from Iraq, a sharp increase from 26% last month.

How many trees have been pulped so that folks with no idea what they were talking about could tell us that the war would determine the election? It won't even be a factor--all that matters is the economy (which is booming) and the possibility of another successful terrorist attack (who knows how that might cut?).

Speaking of which, U.S. Index of Leading Economic Indicators Rose 0.5% in May (Bloomberg, 6/17/04)

The index of leading U.S. economic indicators rose 0.5 percent in May as factories added hours and the money supply grew, a sign the expansion will continue.

The increase in the Conference Board's gauge of the economy's likely performance over the next three to six months follows a rise in April of 0.1 percent. The index, a composite of several measures, has advanced in 13 of the past 14 months.

Production workers put in longer weeks, and delivery times slowed as companies tried to replenish inventories stripped by rising demand. The expanding economy is helping boost sales and profit at companies such as Yellow Roadway Corp., the biggest U.S. hauler of freight by truck, giving them money to buy equipment and add to payrolls.

``The data reflect a robust economic environment this spring and point to more of the same this summer,'' said Ken Goldstein, an economist at the Conference Board in New York. ``The confluence of economic strengths is a recipe for continued job gains, and possibly a little more inflation.'' [...]

Economists had projected a 0.4 percent increase in the leading index, based on the median of 51 forecasts in a Bloomberg News survey.

50-0

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 17, 2004 4:57 PM
Comments

The prison abuse scandal is "widening"?

Posted by: andy at June 17, 2004 6:30 PM

Three weeks ago, I told my brother that Iraq was going to be a nonstory by the time the election rolled around.

I only wish I'd documented that thought on my blog, the way OJ did.

Posted by: Matt at June 17, 2004 7:38 PM

I think Rush is right: the Democratic fallback position is to impeach George Bush for violating the Geneva Convention(s).

Kind of hard to do with an ever-shrinking minority.

Posted by: jim hamlen at June 17, 2004 9:14 PM

What does Scottish Law have to say on this subject?

Posted by: AML at June 17, 2004 9:21 PM

37-13.

Posted by: Chris at June 17, 2004 10:23 PM

I guess I'm one of those Americans who no longer hawk the war news ... from the MSM that is. It is so damn biased that it borders on outright lying. People must be getting tired of it and becoming numb. The prisoner abuse scandal is a good example.

The internet is my main source where I can easily discern fact from opinion and where sources are usually provided as back up for opinions. Save the trees.

Posted by: genecis at June 18, 2004 9:00 AM

Does your "50-0" factor in the Fifth Column media & celebrities?

I'm from California; I remember how CELEBRITY! endorsements are used in elections. And when any news favorable to Bush gets memholed as Not-News "doubleplusunggod thoughtcrime refs unpersons refs unevents"...

And then there's always Election Day itself:
"Whoever casts the votes decide nothing;
Whoever counts the votes decides Everything"
-- Comrade Stalin

And what happens after Election Day -- remember Florida 2000? "Heads I WIN, tails I SUE! I'LL SUE! I'LL SUE!" (Alert all Party Cadres; welfare bums and useful idiots into the streets in front of the media cameras for Spontaneous People's Demonstrations...)

Posted by: Ken at June 18, 2004 12:52 PM

Ken:

The liberal media is less significant than ever before due to difusion

Posted by: oj at June 18, 2004 1:12 PM

Barring a repeat of the extraordinary circumstances of 2000, the Democrats have used up all their legal trickery and raw power grabs. Too risky, especially with Bush set to appoint 3 or 4 justices after this November.

Posted by: jim hamlen at June 18, 2004 1:27 PM