June 22, 2004

THAT'S IT?:

Ryan papers contain allegations he pressured wife for public sex (MAURA KELLY LANNAN, 6/22/04, Associated Press)

Republican Senate candidate Jack Ryan pressured his wife, actress Jeri Lynn Ryan, to have sex in clubs while others watched, she charged in custody documents related to their divorce that were released Monday.

The ``Boston Public'' and ``Star Trek: Voyager'' actress said she angered Ryan by refusing. She did acknowledge infidelity on her part, which she said took place after their marriage was irretrievably broken.

In the documents Ryan denied the allegations, saying he had been ``faithful and loyal'' to his wife. [...]

Jeri Lynn Ryan charged during a custody hearing that Ryan took her on surprise trips to New Orleans, New York and Paris in 1998, and that he insisted she go to sex clubs with him on each trip.

She said that after going out to dinner with Ryan in New York, he demanded that she go to a club with him.

``It was a bizarre club with cages, whips and other apparatus hanging from the ceiling,'' she said.
She said Ryan asked her to perform a sexual act while others watched, and she refused.

She said they left and Ryan apologized to her and said it was out of his system. But then, she said, he took her to Paris and again took her to a sex club.

She said she cried and became physically ill at the club, and her husband got angry with her.

She said she could never get over that incident.

She also accuses him in the papers of being controlling and lying repeatedly throughout the proceedings.

``I did arrange romantic getaways for us, but that did not include the type of activity she described,'' Ryan said in the papers. ``We did go to one avant-garde nightclub in Paris which was more than either one of us felt comfortable with. We left and vowed never to return,'' he told the court.

He said he felt bad for their son that she would falsely accuse him and said she said she knew he had political aspirations.

In a statement released Monday evening, Jeri Lynn Ryan made no mention of the allegations, but said she now considered Ryan a good man and loving father.

He obviously failed to honor his wife consistently, but if he remained faithful to her and didn't force her to do anything this story seems likely to go away. But, it's the GOP and he may be gone before the story is.

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 22, 2004 12:00 AM
Comments

It makes a lot more sense that he would want to prove to the world that he was getting some from Seven of Nine than cheating on her would.

Posted by: Timothy at June 22, 2004 3:39 AM

"I did not have sex with that woman."

Posted by: MIke at June 22, 2004 6:19 AM

Orrin:

Aren't you being a little legalistic? If the allegations are true (admittedly a very big if), the guy was essentially trying to pimp his wife. This kind of behaviour bespeaks a lot of rage and tends to feed on itself. She would have been quite wise to be frightened and bolt.

Posted by: Peter B at June 22, 2004 6:29 AM

Bill Clinton's autobiography is said to be selling like "Harry Potter for adults", according to NPR.

Posted by: David Cohen at June 22, 2004 7:12 AM

Peter:

Wasn't the sex act with him?

I don't know, if we start disqualifying everyone who's asked a spouse to do something they didn't feel comfortable doing we won't have anyone left to run will we?

Posted by: oj at June 22, 2004 8:01 AM

I got the impression from the article that the sex act was to be with him and that the exhibitionism was what was upsetting to her.

I don't think he tried to 'pimp her out'. He may have some odd appetites, but it doesn't read to me like he has malevalent sexual issues.

Posted by: NKR at June 22, 2004 8:17 AM

Don't get me wrong--he should still quit the race. Taking your wife to Paris is abusive.

Posted by: oj at June 22, 2004 8:26 AM

The last poll I saw said Ryan was trailing Obama by 25 points - so this may be moot. I still really like Ryan and hope he doesn't drop out - like OJ I see this sex club thing as slightly ridiculous, and he completely denies the charges, and her recent statements seem to back away from any criticism of him at all.

Posted by: Jeff Brokaw at June 22, 2004 8:30 AM

oj/NKR

I meant pimping figuratively--demanding public sex is pretty close. Don't you think springing this on her at the club, getting her upset, apologing profusely but then taking her again and getting angry when she won't play ball is scary and different in kind from suggesting a little kinky fun BEFORE he books the table? Why couldn't he be a real man and just ask her to spank him in private when he dresses up like Shirley Temple?

However, I would give even money there is a whole different take and the man is either too principled or embarassed to get into it.

Posted by: Peter B at June 22, 2004 8:56 AM

It's not the dress up that gives them pause, it's calling you "General Belgrano" as they whip you...

Posted by: oj at June 22, 2004 9:07 AM

I guess you're all assuming he's guilty and she's telling the truth. Did I miss something?

Posted by: Genecis at June 22, 2004 1:59 PM

Agree with Jeff - this may not be a real story but it won't help Ryan make up the large difference in the polls. For the GOP to hold this seat they will need someone within single digits of the Dem even with a Bush coattail.

Posted by: AWW at June 22, 2004 2:52 PM

I'm with Genecis, this is a divorce after all.

Although I'm sure one of the lawyers here will tell me that under oath and with the custody of a child involved neither participant would lie. No of course not, what was I thinking!

Posted by: h-man at June 22, 2004 6:35 PM

Just as there are no bad dogs, in N.H. there are no Republican venial sins.

Cross the line and sleep with the fishes. Walk the line, however unsteadily, and it's hardly worth mentioning.

Posted by: Harry Eagar at June 22, 2004 7:44 PM

Considering politics is the profession where marriage is almost essential, then being a pervert kind of kills support.

It's sad to see that Ryan's sexual fantasies may be the doom of him. If I still lived in IL, I would vote for Obama, but Ryan seemed a good man who willingly gave up a high paying job so he could teach inner city kids.

If Carol Mosley Braun was still Senator, I'd even have voted for him anyway.

Posted by: Chris Durnell at June 22, 2004 8:25 PM

Harry:

Only you and Jeff are without sin--everyone I've met wobbles.

Posted by: oj at June 22, 2004 8:38 PM

I was in Chicago this past weekend. I saw Obama signs in the North Suburbs, not on the south side. As for the polls. I don't know that they will necessarily get accurate answers.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at June 22, 2004 11:14 PM

He did it. His side of the story sounds a lot like "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale". Isn't sleeping with Jeri Ryan enough of a fantasy?

OJ, we all wobble, but some wobble more than others.

Posted by: Robert Duquette at June 23, 2004 2:41 AM