June 26, 2004

ABLE CANDIDATE:

Senate Candidate Vows to Carry Christian Values to Capitol (Chad Groening, June 25, 2004, AgapePress)

A successful black businessman who is seeking to become Georgia's next U.S. senator says he will never waffle on the pro-family issues. Former pizza magnate Herman Cain believes God had a hand on the founding of America, and he says people have no right to redefine what God has defined.

Cain is facing two incumbent Republican congressmen in the July 20 Republican Primary. The former president and CEO of Godfather's Pizza says his Christianity governs his political stances. So when issues such as abortion and so-called homosexual marriage come up, he notes, "They are not difficult questions for me to answer because of my biblical basis."

The Senate candidate says without hesitation, "I am pro-life from conception, and I believe that God defined marriage as between a man and a woman. And I believe God knew what he was doing -- end of story."

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 26, 2004 12:37 PM
Comments

It would be great if Cain won the primary in that he would help the GOP and Bush more nationally than the other 2 candidates (being a successful black businessman). I haven't been following the race but I think he is trailing the other 2 though. In any event GA is currently considered an almost certain pickup for the GOP.

Posted by: AWW at June 26, 2004 12:57 PM

I applaud Mr. Cain's candidacy and his positions as stated, but I must caution him: If one's convictions are religiously based, one cannot argue for them against the contrary opinions of those who don't share one's religious premises. One can only assert them. There's a very low limit to the effectiveness of such assertions.

Posted by: Francis W. Porretto at June 26, 2004 1:34 PM

Mr. Porretto:

As opposed to what? how are your opinions any different?

Posted by: oj at June 26, 2004 3:04 PM

Wow! I wish he were running in Fla. so I could vote for him. Heck, I just wish there were more like him in the GOP.

Posted by: Buttercup at June 26, 2004 4:58 PM

I am afraid Francis is right. The liberals have secularized America so much that religious based arguments don't work any more. You need to rely on social science and reason to defend what traditionally could be defended with simple biblical scripture.

Posted by: Vince at June 27, 2004 1:07 AM

Vince, the problem isn't that America is secularized (it isn't, just look at any poll on religion in America), it is that, as Mr. Porretto alludes to, every religious sensibility has its own view of Biblical values. There are religious arguments for same-sex marriage, socialized medicine, abortion, and what have you.

I'm not religious, but I would warn the religious on this board to be careful what you wish for. Government is and will always be about power and whatever it takes to secure it. It will inevitably corrupt whatever set of ideals it attracts to itself. If religion is that which is most precious to you, be careful about what kind of wine-skin you choose to hold it in.

Posted by: Robert Duquette at June 27, 2004 12:19 PM

This guy deserves to be on the presidential shortlist if he wins. Period.

Posted by: Matt at June 27, 2004 1:43 PM