June 23, 2004

A CASE FOR HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL:

AIR AMERICA HITS SOUR RATINGS NOTE (JOHN MAINELLI, June 22, 2004, NY Post)

ENCOURAGING preliminary ratings for all-liberal Air America in New York have collapsed along with the fledgling radio network's finances.

An unofficial "extrapolation" of Arbitron data released last Friday — which Air America's hosts crowed about last month but virtually ignored yesterday — showed WLIB's ratings dropping back to their lowly levels before the net's April launch. [...]

According to the article, many Air America investors thought the network had raised $30 million — when, in fact, only $6 million had been raised before the network launched.

"We have a new influx of cash coming up," said Franken, whose contract promises more than $1 million a year, according to the Journal.

"I am being paid now," he told listeners yesterday. "I've been paid for weeks."

America is so wealthy that some nitwit thought Al Franken was worth as much as a third-string, left-handed catcher?

Posted by Orrin Judd at June 23, 2004 5:30 PM
Comments

Hey, watchit, my son loves playing catcher and is left-handed. Take him over Al anyday.

Posted by: John at June 23, 2004 5:55 PM

I swear when this thing started, $15 mill was supposed to come from the rich Chicago couple mentioned in other articles.

Posted by: Sandy P at June 23, 2004 7:07 PM

Why are rich people rich? Because they haven't given away their money.

Posted by: David Cohen at June 23, 2004 7:11 PM

Anyone remember the SNL skit where Al free-hand draws the continental USA on a big piece of paper? That's what I'll remember him for. It saves his dignity.

Posted by: Bartman at June 23, 2004 8:43 PM

It seems that those old SNL "Franken & Davis" sketches advocating Communist revolution were not satire, at least in Al's case.

All this is a good argument for confiscatory taxation of the rich-- at least from those who are too stupid to use their riches wisely. A 95% income tax on all revenues derived from entertainment is probably the simplest way to enact this.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at June 23, 2004 9:14 PM

"Air America investors thought the network had raised $30 million when, in fact, only $6 million had been raised before the network launched"

As a former federal prosecutor, trust me when I say that that allegation standing alone would justify a fraud indictment (assuming that the investors' thoughts were based on representations of Air America representatives.

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at June 23, 2004 9:34 PM

Perhaps Bill Clinton can help them out, now that he is earning some real money (after all, Chelsea is out of school).

Posted by: jim hamlen at June 23, 2004 9:53 PM

Does anybody but me find the choice of the name Air America a little spooky?

Maybe I'm quagmired in the '60s, but whenever I hear it I think of the CIA's air force.

Posted by: Harry Eagar at June 24, 2004 7:45 PM

I think of Mel Gibson, which isn't bad, but then I think of the movie, which was...

Posted by: jsmith at June 24, 2004 8:33 PM
« SIDE BY SIDE HEADLINES | Main | LIKE NADIA COMENEICI WITH A KEYBOARD (via Political Theory): »