September 28, 2003

AT NPR, IT'S ALWAYS 1984:

Advertising Freedom (NPR: On the Media, 9/28/03)

According to a recent poll by the AdCouncil, an overwhelming majority of Americans think that fellow citizens take their freedoms for granted. And so the people who brought you Smokey Bear and the crash test dummies have taken up the cause with their latest series of TV, radio, and print PSAs. The latest installment in the "Campaign for Freedom" features immigrants who have fled from repressive regimes. AdCouncil President & CEO Peggy Conlon speaks with Bob about the campaign.

So host Bob Garfield asks about one ad in particular where in a dystopic America a man tries checking a book out of a library but is carried off by federal agents, "which is ironic because under the Patriot Act the same exact thing is happening right now in the real America." Mind you, this is a program devoted to keeping track of the uses and abuses of the media.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 28, 2003 12:00 PM
Comments

I'm convinced that NPR started as a Monty Python segment.

Posted by: John J. Coupal at September 28, 2003 8:30 PM

Affirmative action for political nit-wits. Your tax dollars at work. I do love the condescending tone of the announcers, however.

Posted by: Tom C., Stamford,Ct. at September 29, 2003 9:43 AM

NPR is a haven for all those A-Holes in college
that simply never got over the conspiracy
theories their professors tried to teach them.

These people simply don't live in the same country
I live in.

Posted by: J.H. at September 29, 2003 10:45 AM

N.P R. is the voice of the Progessive, socialist, left wing element of the Democrat party they've subversed. You and I are paying for it and it makes everything accomplished in far left wing Hollywood since the late thirties amatuerish in comparison.

Posted by: genecis at September 29, 2003 9:53 PM

When I was in law school, I was a DJ at my college radio station. We had to play Pacifica News. Oh holy goodness, Pacifica makes NPR sound the Heritage Foundation, the National Review, and the United States Marine Corps rolled into one.

NPR has this new show called "Right Left and Center" with David Frum, Robert Scheer and some cheese-ball who is supposed to be some sort of a centrist; however, he is your basic NPR hack. It is terrible and I'm surprised Frum is on it.

Posted by: pchuck at September 30, 2003 11:29 AM