April 2, 2008

SHORT LIST:

McCain Compiles List of Running Mates (David ESPO, 4/02/08, AP)

Senator John McCain says he has begun getting together a list of names to choose a vice presidential running mate

McCain said he hopes to make an announcement before the Republican convention in early September.

"I'd like to get it done as early as possible. I'm aware of enhanced importance of this issue given my age," the 71-year-old Arizona senator said.

Jeb Bush would, obviously, be the ideal pick: good on the Right and with Evangelicals, brings Third Way cred and ideas, executive experience, appeal to Latinos and Catholics. Assuming he's serious about not running that would leave several other governors: Charlie Frist (FL); Rick Perry (TX), Bobby Jindal (LA); & Tim Pawlenty (MN).

Posted by Orrin Judd at April 2, 2008 8:10 AM
Comments

oj, what on earth do you like about Frist?

Posted by: erp at April 2, 2008 9:21 AM

Charlie Crist and Bobby Jindal are great prospects but aren't ready yet. Rick Perry and Jeb Bush are too close to the current president (and on top of that Perry is an all-around embarrassment). Pawlenty is my guy, though I'm open to other folks that I don't know as much about (Sanford comes to mind. I'm sure there are others, but I don't know enough about them yet).

Posted by: R. Alex at April 2, 2008 11:05 AM

I still like the idea of Michael Steele -- especially if the Dems end up dumping Obama and Hillary for Al Gore.

Posted by: Mike Morley at April 2, 2008 11:34 AM

He appeals to voters, a not insignificant trait in a politician.

Posted by: oj at April 2, 2008 11:36 AM

Maverick could pick any random commenter on this blog and still crush Obama. The more I think about his Maverickness the more Lieberman seems to be the shoe-in.

Posted by: b at April 2, 2008 11:56 AM

b:

That would certainly kick Obama squarely in the post-partisanism...

Posted by: Mike Earl at April 2, 2008 12:13 PM

Rick Perry?

No way. He's too erratic, and McCain doesn't need a 39% governor on his ticket.

Neither TX cheerleader who has been mentioned (Perry or Sen. Hutchison) would be a good choice. TX has nothing to offer this time (aside from Phil Gramm at Treasury). Sorry! :)

Posted by: Kevin Whited at April 2, 2008 12:36 PM

Pawlenty here as well. Jindal is the top prospect for the next generation so you don't want to use him before his time.

Posted by: Rick T. at April 2, 2008 12:55 PM

Chris Cox's name has come up recently, and he seems like an interesting, appealing choice. McCain probably needs to go with a governor though, and Pawlenty makes the most sense.

Posted by: Hunter at April 2, 2008 1:15 PM

Lieberman has recently been making noises about how "the Dems left him" and all...

Posted by: Benny at April 2, 2008 2:38 PM

I renew my suggestion of a unity ticket with Hillary.

If one wants to win, that is the ticket.

Jeb and Jindal will be the ticket in 2012 even if McCain wins.

Posted by: Bob at April 2, 2008 2:44 PM

You missed Haley Barbour; two-term governor in a red state, did a great job managing after Hurricane Katrina and a former RNC director.

I like Jindal a lot, but he needs more executive experience.

Jeb Bush -- wrong last name. This country has had enough dynastic family leadership for a LONG time.

Posted by: LC at April 2, 2008 3:12 PM
« BEAT THEM TO THE PUNCH, MAVERICK: | Main | BUT I CAN'T BE RACIST, I'M A RACE:: »