July 29, 2005
Julia Roberts to make Broadway debut (AP, 7/29/05)
Julia Roberts, movie star, is heading to Broadway next spring.
Posted by Bryan Francoeur at July 29, 2005 3:56 PM
The 37-year-old actress will make her Broadway debut in a revival of Richard Greenberg's "Three Days of Rain."
I bet there's a nekked lesbo scene.
I thought she was going to be in a revival of Thorton Wilder's 'The Skin of Our Teeth'.
She's going to star in Equus
Nice post here by Bryan/Orrin.
I am Orrin's alter-ego. It's just like Fight Club except less nihlistic and more nerdy.
One of the things I will not miss, when I move to Jacksonville, is Broadway. Once an important center of American culture, now it is little more than a travelling carnival or State fair.
Every show on Broadway can be classified as one or more of the following:
1. About gays
2. About Black people with lots of dancing no better than you can observe in any schoolyard north of 110th Street on a sunny summer afternoon.
3. About Black gays who dance no better than you can observe in any schoolyard north of 110th Street on a sunny summer afternoon.
4. Revivals of stuff you saw 2-3 decades ago that was done far better then.
5. The latest offal from the meat grinder that is Andrew Lloyd-Webber.
6. Remakes of ancient movies/TV shows that were better when they were movies/TV shows. Can 'Hogan's Heroes' the Musical be far behind?
7. Vehicles for movie and TV stars who want to demonstrate that they are good enough to make it on Broadway. For the most part they remind me of Peter O'Toole in 'My Favorite Year', 'I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star.' 'You mean this is LIVE??'
8. The latest attempt by hack directors to mangle Shakespeare under the aegis of the RSC. If they're too sophisticated to buy it in Britain, maybe they can bamboozle the colonials into going, if only for snob appeal.