July 8, 2005

LET 'EM FIGHT FOR CHARITY BETWEEN GAMES OF A DOUBLEHEADER:

Shonda's scarves of destiny still haunt Sox (Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa, July 8, 2005, Boston Herald)

Don't say we told you but word around the Red Sox clubhouse is that Johnny Damon's raaaather rude remarks about Curt Schilling's move to the bullpen may have a little something to do with the infamous scarf incident of 2004. [...]

In case you missed any of the hardball brouhaha, here's the backstory, courtesy of our colleague Tony Massarotti in his book ``Tale of Two Cities'': During last year's ALCS Shonda Schilling bought a collection of scarves and handed them out to the wives as a sign of solidarity with their boys on the field.

Michelle was the only Sox S.O. who refused to wear one. And after the Sox fell to the Yankees in epic fashion in Game 3, Michelle, who was then Damon's fiancee, griped, ``A lot of good those (bleeping) scarves have done.''

Well, that was the final straw for Shonda, who replied ``Well, if you were wearing one maybe your fiance wouldn't be 0-for-16.''

Meeeeeoooouch!

Damon, at that point, was actually 1-for-13, but that didn't stop the gals from going at it to the point where they had to be physically restrained!

Posted by Orrin Judd at July 8, 2005 6:14 PM
Comments

That seems to be the sense here in BeanTown. Damon is very popular right now but this incident has knocked some luster off of his shine. Schilling isn't as popular but is getting kudos for volunteering to go to the bullpen.

The Red Sox seem to be striving for the Patriots model where Team comes before the individual. It's clear they still have a ways to go.

Posted by: AWW at July 8, 2005 7:48 PM

Schilling is pretty darn popular. They both are, after all they brought us a World Series championship. But their wives have some bad blood. Damon after he got rich divorced his original wife in favor of Michelle, a trophy. Shonda is Schilling's original wife and rumors are that she and other Red Sox wives aren't fond of the replacement trophy wives.

Posted by: pj at July 8, 2005 8:33 PM

That is a shonda.

Posted by: Robert Schwartz at July 8, 2005 8:34 PM

It's always amusing when superstitions collide.

Posted by: Raoul Ortega at July 8, 2005 8:55 PM

I trust they'll be fighting in bikinis.

Posted by: Jim in Chicago at July 8, 2005 9:08 PM

This all started back when I was still rooting for them, so I'm afraid I'll have to step up and shoulder responsibility. My bad. Won't happen again.

Posted by: joe shropshire at July 8, 2005 9:28 PM

Hmmm, as much as I hate the BoSox (as a Mets fan I say, how'd you like 1986!) I do like Curt Schilling a lot. A Republican and a grognard!

Posted by: Steven Martinovich at July 8, 2005 9:45 PM

My Google for "shonda schilling naked" isn't coming up with anything. You sure you got that name spelled right?

Posted by: joe shropshire at July 8, 2005 11:09 PM

Every generation of Red Sox teams needs its Bill "Spaceman" Lee, I suppose. Damon is just fulfilling this one's, but at least he does have a ring to show for it, as opposed to only a Graig Nettles-caused shoulder separation.

Posted by: John at July 9, 2005 1:29 AM

Nice uh baseballs in that picture.

Posted by: Bob at July 9, 2005 9:27 AM