July 30, 2005

AUH2O II:

Goldwater nephew to run for governor (HOWARD FISCHER, 07/30/2005, Arizona Daily Sun)

Don Goldwater confirmed Friday he is seeking his party's nomination to challenge Democratic incumbent Janet Napolitano. Goldwater has planned announcements Tuesday in Sun City, Phoenix and Tucson.

Goldwater, the nephew of former U.S. Senator and presidential hopeful Barry Goldwater, has been active in state party politics for years. He heads the GOP committee for his legislative district and has been a delegate to the Republican National Convention.

He is joining what could become a crowded field that already includes a former state Senate president, with the current Senate president, the U.S. surgeon general, a state representative and the wife of a former vice president candidate all potential contenders.

The 50-year-old resident of Laveen, an unincorporated community on the southwest edge of Phoenix, is little known outside the party.

That, however, may not be a problem, according to pollster Bruce Merrill.

"I wouldn't bet against Goldwater, just because of the name," said Merrill, who also is a professor of journalism and mass communications at Arizona State University. "The name is obviously golden in Arizona, particularly among the party people."

Nathan Sproul, a political consultant who works with Republicans, said the nature of statewide campaigns actually would give Goldwater an advantage.

That's because most of the candidates are likely to run with public funds. That stems from what happened in 2002 to Republican Matt Salmon, where his status as a privately financed candidate actually worked against him: Any funds he spent -- or spend by others on his behalf -- resulted in matching state dollars given to Napolitano.

Posted by Orrin Judd at July 30, 2005 6:14 PM
Comments

I often think how different the world would be today if Goldwater hadn't been savaged from all sides. Certainly an awful lot of lives wouldn't have been lost and the hippy dippies wouldn't have gotten control of our schools and political correctness would never come into existence. Clinton would have stayed in Arkansas playing with the girls and not empowered Islam to think they could rule the world ditto for North Korea. The Ayatollah wouldn't have gotten back from Paris so there would have been no hostage crisis. I could go on and on.

Well we got LBJ instead. Arguably the most corrupt president we ever had.

Posted by: erp at July 30, 2005 6:43 PM

Name or not, nobody knows anything about Don Goldwater. He'll get whipped by Napolitano.

Posted by: Brandon at July 30, 2005 8:11 PM

erp:

As a youth, I passed out AuH20 bumper-stickers. I knew it was a lost cause. Shoulda kept some. They mighta been worth something today. Would you trade them today for Ronald Reagan?

Posted by: Fred Jacobsen (San Fran) at July 31, 2005 2:59 AM

I am not surprised that our correspondents have memories of the lost cause. We knew it would be bad, and it was. We feared that worse would follow, and it did.

For all that, it was a start. The movement did not die; the movement gave us Reaqan, and with Reagan came victory.

To recall '64 is to live the words of Lucan's Pharsalia: "Victrix causa diis placuit, sed victa Catoni."

Posted by: Lou Gots at July 31, 2005 6:03 AM

Fred in SF. So did I and although I've voted in every election since Eisenhower, Goldwater is the only one I actively campaigned for because it was obvious after the debacle of Kennedy presidency and death, that we were on the verge being taken over by the lunatic left lock, stock and barrel.

How many remember the Democratic convention of 1960? I was a young mother with two babies who was glued to the TV as the Kennedy demolition derby ran roughshod over all in their path while the media drooled and oohed and aahed over the handsome prince who would deign to be our president.

I love Reagan and our shrub and thank God for them, and Lou you're right that Goldwater's assassination paved the way for today's conservative movement, but I still can't help but wonder how things would have turned out had Goldwater won the election in 1964.

I try not to live in the past, but I'm also mindful of another George who said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who remembers those days as they really were and haven't been tarred by the media's Camelot fantasy.

Posted by: erp at July 31, 2005 8:33 AM

I've still got my Grandfather's Goldwater/Miller button, not to mention my great-great-grandfather's Bull Moose convention delegate's badge.

Posted by: oj at July 31, 2005 10:33 AM

I forgot about poor Miller. What a woebegone twosome they made. Were we ever that young?

Posted by: erp at July 31, 2005 1:51 PM

Don Goldwater, who aspires to be the Republican nominee for governor, doesn't seem to understand the meaning of pro-life.

Mr. Goldwater told the Arizona Conservative that his "Views are pretty straight forward," and that, " I am pro-life with a few exceptions," but those exceptions give evidence to his true position on abortion.

His exceptions in his own words are "An abortion can only be considered in cases of rape or incest and only before viability of the fetus, the only other exception would be in the case of mortal danger to the mother."

I think Mr. Goldwater's exceptions would be of mortal danger to the unborn child.

The fetus is a human being deserving of life regardless of whom the father is or how conceived. To allow abortions in cases of rape or incest is to punish the unborn child for the crimes of the father and is not a pro-life position but the position of pro-death.

In the very rare case of mortal danger to the mother, that is a life for a life decision and should be made by the mother. Therefore, any exception beyond the life of the mother is a pro-abortion position, and therefore Don Goldwater's exceptions makes his position on the issue pro-abortion.

What Don Goldwater is trying to do is to take a compromise position on abortion, to straddle the issue. Unfortunately for Mr. Goldwater, there is no compromise position on abortion. The fetus is either an alive human being or it is not. A candidate for public office is either pro-life or he is not, there is no middle position on this issue.

Before someone takes a position on abortion they should study the words of The Declaration of Independence which states that "All men are created equal and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights," the first of which is the right to life.

God gave us the right to life, not government and no one, born or unborn, should be deprived of life without the due process of law. Abortion is a violation of that right and is just simply wrong.

Just as slavery was a question of right and wrong, so too the issue of abortion and just as the institution of slavery was abolished so too must the institution of abortion be abolished.

Bob Haran