February 10, 2005

BOTH HIS LISTENERS WILL BE THRILLED (via AWW)

Franken expected to make announcement on candidacy (KSTP, 02/10/2005)

Just one day after U.S. Sen. Mark Dayton decided not to run for a second term, comedian Al Franken may be throwing his hat into the ring.

Last year, Franken said he wanted to run for the Senate in 2008. But last night he told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS that he is now considering his candidacy for next year.

Franken, a Minnesota native, plans to make an announcement live on his national radio show in Washington D.C. 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS will be in the studio with Franken for that announcement.

The announcement is expected to come near the end of the broadcast, which will be around 1:45 p.m.

Posted by Orrin Judd at February 10, 2005 2:31 PM
Comments

Earlier I said that no Democrat in the state of MN would be a worse candidate than Dayton.

I hereby retract that statement.

Posted by: Timothy at February 10, 2005 2:51 PM

Timothy,
Worse from who's perspective?

Having Franken run for the Senate is like putting Dean in charge of the DNC. My only remaining question is this: How does Rove manage all of this without leaving any tracks?

Posted by: Roy Jacobsen at February 10, 2005 3:03 PM

If he'll put on the bow tie and do his Sen. Paul Simon impression from the 1988 Democratic primary season on Saturday Night Live, at least it will be a little funny. Especally if he can get Jon Lovitz to dress up like Michael Dukakis and hang out with him on the campaign trail.

Posted by: John at February 10, 2005 3:07 PM

Not running.

Another alumnus of Blake School (Mark Dayton was, I'm one too) walks away from immortality.

Posted by: Brian (MN) at February 10, 2005 3:12 PM

I have, a time or two, fallen short of my employer's expectations. But none ever said to me, "You could be replaced by Al Franken."

The only way it could get worse for Mark Dayton is if his wife tells him, "I'm leaving you for Gilbert Gottfried."

Posted by: Bob Hawkins at February 10, 2005 3:15 PM

The ideal: As if with one voice all in Minnesota repeat the following with gusto: "You betcha, that Franken is the real deal. He's for sure my guy." The real: - mosquitoes humming -.

Posted by: Luciferous at February 10, 2005 3:43 PM

Is he really a comedian, aside from being laughable? The Democrats are rapidly becoming the comic party.

Posted by: pj at February 10, 2005 4:04 PM

Al Franken has always been the comedy millstone tied around the neck of whatever show he's working on. You know how Phil Hartman used to be called "The Glue" because of the way the he held shows together? Well, Franken should be called "The Solvent." Franken just plain ain't funny.

Posted by: Governor Breck at February 11, 2005 8:46 AM