September 21, 2004

EVEN THAT PERCENTAGE LOOKS PRETTY CLOSE:

Masked revelers prefer Bush: Get this one: Halloween mask sales predictor says incumbent will beat Kerry in November. (Parija Bhatnagar, 9/21/04, CNN/Money)

Forget about the guesswork from the political pundits and ignore all those election polls.

The real key to predicting the outcome of the presidential election is this year's face-off of the Halloween masks.

It's as unscientific as it gets, but the theory, according to some people in the costume business, is that the winner in every election since 1980 has been the candidate whose masks were most popular on Halloween.

So far this year, Bush masks have been outselling those of Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry by a 57 percent to 43 percent margin, according to one outfit, BuyCostumes.com, the online arm of Wisconsin-based costume marketer Buyseasons Inc.

Posted by Orrin Judd at September 21, 2004 5:01 PM
Comments

I guess that this is a two-man mask-off (57 + 43 = 100 per cent).

But is no little child saying, 'Mom, I wanna be Ralph Nader for Halloween!'

Posted by: old maltese at September 21, 2004 7:15 PM

Obviously, the kid who wants to go as Ralph Nader wants to scare people on Halloween.

And the kid who wants to go as the Libertarian candidate (Michael Badnarik?) can't have many friends.

Posted by: John Barrett Jr. at September 21, 2004 10:03 PM

The results might be a little different if Nixon and Reagan masks were added to the poll.

Posted by: jim hamlen at September 22, 2004 10:28 AM

Why don't they have any Ralph Nader Masks? If they did I would definitely get one. But since there isn't I'm gonna have to get a Bush mask and make his hair gray(like it really is to that stupid person who made the mask)and put idiot to his forehead... that way I'll get extra candy from some people!

Posted by: nader at October 4, 2004 7:29 PM

I want a Ralph Nader mask and a shirt that says "I voted for Nader and all I got was this stupid tree..."

Posted by: NADER 04'! at October 27, 2004 6:21 PM
« INDECENCIES OF THE DECENT LEFT: | Main | OTHER THAN BEING UNREALISTIC, WHAT DID YOU THINK OF MY PLAN?: »