July 22, 2004

ALL HUMOR IS CONSERVATIVE FILES (GREAT POP TOO):

Love Stinks: The best foul-mouthed breakup songs of all time (DAN LEROY, Jul 07, 2004, Riverfront Times)

Can't even find an excerpt that isn't so profanity-laced as to violate our rules, but it's one of the funniest things you'll ever read.

Posted by Orrin Judd at July 22, 2004 7:53 AM
Comments

How'd they miss the complete discography of Dash Rip Rock?

From "All Hung Up": "If my memory/serves me well/it was not me that said/'Go to hell!'"

Posted by: Will Collier at July 22, 2004 8:58 AM

I seem to recall that Motley Crue has a song called, "Girl Don't Go Away Mad, Girl Just Go Away."

Posted by: pchuck at July 22, 2004 9:23 AM

How could they leave out Harry Nilsson's pioneering "You're Breakin' My Heart?"

You're breakin' my heart/you're tearin' me apart/so [expletive] you!

Posted by: Mike Morley at July 22, 2004 9:48 AM

I remember a book titled "If you leave me, can I go with you?"

Posted by: Robert Duquette at July 22, 2004 10:19 AM

Even Billy Bragg's best songs are conservative.
Seriously.

Posted by: J.H. at July 22, 2004 10:20 AM

While I can't stand his politics, Billy Bragg's music is a guilty pleasure for me. Somewhere in my LP collection is an obscure benefit album (I think it's called WAKE UP!, but I'd have to check my discs to be sure) that included Bragg performing "A Change Is Gonna Come" in East Germany about a year before the Wall fell. He presumably intended the "change" to be his dreamed-for world communist revolution, but in light of what actually happened the tune seemed really prescient. Oddly, there appears to be no mention of this compilation on Billy Bragg's official Web site, which appears to have a very thorough discography.

So don't saddle me with your ideals,and spare me all your guilt/ For a poet with all the answers has never yet been built."
-Billy Bragg, "I Don't Need This Pressure Ron", 1986

Posted by: John Barrett Jr. at July 22, 2004 11:18 AM

Lucky for me I never heard those songs or of those singers.

Can't be more hurtful, I don't think, than "Can't stand your cookin' and you ain't good lookin', I'm gone."

-- Little Walter, "Too Late"

Posted by: Harry Eagar at July 22, 2004 4:01 PM

None of them can beat One More Minute by Weird Al.

I'd rather clean all the bathrooms in Grand Central Station with my tongue

Than spend one more minute with you

Posted by: Annoying Old Guy at July 22, 2004 4:30 PM

I second the praise for "one more minute"

There are a few other "I'd rather.." lines almost as funny as that one....

I'd rather dive into a swimming pool filled with double-edged razor blades...

I'd rather spend all eternity eating shards of broken glass...

...then spend one more minute with you.

Posted by: MarkD at July 22, 2004 8:30 PM

**2**

Posted by: at September 18, 2004 11:40 PM
« OFT-FORSAKEN (via Buttercup, Tom Morin, & Governor Breck): | Main | SAVE THE BUS FARE, GRANDMA: »